end of year get-together, conference next year

Deborah Gould

May 21, 2012, 2:17:59 PM5/21/12
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
dear affect working group,
carla and i applied for UC Humanities Research Institute funds for a conference next year, and we got the funds! we have also applied for IHR Research Cluster status which, if we get it, will help fund the conference and provide some other money for additional events next year. i've attached our UCHRI proposal to give you a sense of what we are thinking for the conference. a couple of things have changed since we actually applied. first, given funding constraints, most and perhaps all of the invited speakers will be from UC's (including UCSC); second, we plan to invite speakers/panelists as well as some "active audience members"--people whom we would encourage to come, probably with some honorarium, but who wouldn't make formal presentations; third, we are now imagining a one day conference (perhaps starting the evening before with a keynote or a set of performances) and a second day which would be a closed meeting for our affect working group and the invited speakers and active audience members, with the goal of forming a UC-wide research group of faculty and grad students interested in affect/emotion/feelings.

we are thinking of having the conference sometime in late february or early march, 2013.

at this point, many of the invitees are set, but if you would like to suggest UC faculty whom you'd like us to invite, either as speakers or active audience participants, please send names/affiliations as soon as you can.

we also would like to have an end-of-year get-together, to catch up with one another and to discuss a fall event, perhaps a reprise of the "affect across the disciplines" panel discussion, this time with graduate students presenting their ideas. here is a doodle poll to set up that get-together:

http://www.doodle.com/aqhcbmvy2sbvn2pd

we hope you can come!

debbie and carla

UCHRI-Occupation Affect-UCSC.doc

Danilyn Rutherford

May 23, 2012, 1:21:26 AM5/23/12
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
Debbie,

I'd love to be in on this -- but I'm a bit too frantic at the moment.

Did you know that Lauren Berlant will be speaking at the AAA, which is in SF this year in mid-November?  I know this from my SCA connection -- she's the special guest in Culture@Large, that group's main event.  We should think about trying to get her down.  I'm reading Cruel Optimism at the moment; I think it's amazing.  Even by the high standards her previous work sets.

Okay!  Let's try to get together once the fur stops flying.  If the doodle results in something after June 14, maybe I'll pull myself out of this hole and make it!

Best,

<UCHRI-Occupation Affect-UCSC.doc>

Danilyn Rutherford
Professor and Chair