Fwd: [ihr] CFP: *Affect & Inquiry* an Obermann Humanities Symposium (Sept. 15; March 27-29, 2014)

Deborah Gould

Aug 10, 2013, 10:10:58 AM8/10/13
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
dear affect working group folks,
this looks very interesting.
dg

Begin forwarded message:

From: Courtney Mahaney <cmah...@ucsc.edu>
Subject: Fwd: [ihr] CFP: *Affect & Inquiry* an Obermann Humanities Symposium (Sept. 15; March 27-29, 2014)
Date: August 7, 2013 10:42:18 AM CDT
To: Carla Freccero <frec...@ucsc.edu>, Deborah Gould <dbg...@ucsc.edu>

Dear Carla and Debbie,

In case you didn't already receive this, I thought that I would share this CFP with you.

Warm regards,
Courtney

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Greyser, Naomi" <naomi-...@uiowa.edu>
Date: August 7, 2013 8:20:01 AM PDT

Hello –

I wanted to share a call for papers for an upcoming humanities symposium at the University of Iowa ~ If people are inspired to pass our call along to colleagues, we would be grateful.  Thanks!!  And warmly, NG
- - - - - - - -
assistant professor
departments of rhetoric and english
board of directors, POROI – project on the rhetoric of inquiry
writing coach, NCFDD — national center for faculty development and diversityuniversity of iowan a o m i – g r e y s e r @ u i o w a . e d u

FDD40A12-1CDF-44BC-860C-BCE2DAF70610.png
0D162E86-6644-43E4-987C-F612F9F6FD27.png
Affect&InquiryCFPFINAL[1].pdf

Erin Gray

Aug 10, 2013, 2:28:52 PM8/10/13
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
thanks for sending this out, debbie. i wonder if there are funds to help affect studies working group members travel to the conference. i have many conferences coming up, but no financial support from my department. i would love to attend the affect & inquiry symposium, but i will need help getting there!

thanks,

The University of Iowa’s Obermann Center for Advanced Studies seeks 15-20 minute papers, talks, and performances for its 2014 Humanities Symposium, Affect & Inquiry. The Symposium will take place March 27-29th, 2014 at the University of Iowa and will feature keynotes, talks, and performances from:

·

        ·   Lauren Berlant (English, University of Chicago)
·    Ann Cvetkovich (English, Women’s & Gender Studies, University of Texas, Austin)
·       Sharon Hayes (Artist & Activist)
·       José E. Muñoz (Performance Studies, NYU)
·       Jasbir Puar (Women’s & Gender Studies, Rutgers University)
·       Kerry Ann Rockquemore (National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity)

Affect & Inquiry is a three-day symposium that takes stock of critical inquiry in relation to affect studies. Our conference will engage participants in considering the expressive and sensory aspects of scholarly and artistic creativity, teaching and collegiality, and political and public engagement. We ask how structures of feeling viscerally shape approaches to writing, research, pedagogy, art, performance, and activism. Academic researchers have long operated under the assumption that critical inquiry best proceeds by bracketing emotion. Contrary to that belief, this conference examines the powerful role that emotion plays in practices of inquiry across the disciplines. In short, we will grapple with how affect shapes our work and we will contemplate the environments that allow scholars and artists within and outside of the academy to survive and thrive.

We are able to accept a small number of proposals that will complement our existing sessions.  Traditional and non-traditional formats are welcome.  Interested participants should email proposals to:
affectan...@uiowa.edu by Sept. 15, 2013. There is no conference fee. Submissions must include:

1.) Name and institutional affiliation (if any)
2.) A 250-word proposal as an attachment
3.) A short (2-3 sentence) biography
4.) Presenter’s postal and email addresses

Possible topics for papers and presentations may include but are not limited to:

·       The roles of technology and science in shaping the sensory dimension of inquiry
·       The affects of production, interaction, experience, and spectatorship of film, art, and literature
·       Historiography, performance, sport, photography, psychology, sociology, and medicine
·       Anti-racist, queer, feminist, socio-economic, and postcolonial critiques of reason
·       Engaged scholarship in local communities; engaged and experimental pedagogies
·       Interdisciplinary collaboration across methods, personalities, and fields
·       Critiques of affect studies and the challenges of studying “precognition”

Please address correspondence to: affectan...@uiowa.edu. We will notify submitters about acceptance in October.Organizers: Jeff Bennett, Communication Studies; Naomi Greyser, Rhetoric and English; Deborah Whaley, American Studies and African American Studies, University of Iowa.

Sponsors:  Obermann Center for Advanced Studies, the Office of the Vice President for Research, Ida Cordelia Beam Distinguished Visiting Professorships, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences Perry A. and Helen Judy Bond Fund for Interdisciplinary Interaction, POROI (The Project on the Rhetoric of Inquiry), American Studies, Cinema & Comparative Literature, Communication Studies, English, Gender, Women’s & Sexuality Studies, Rhetoric, Spanish & Portuguese, Theatre Arts, LGBT Resource Center, Women’s Resource & Action Center.

Courtney Mahaney
Program Coordinator
Institute for Humanities Research
University of California Santa Cruz
1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95064

--
Erin M. Gray
PhD Candidate, History of Consciousness

Deborah Gould

Aug 24, 2013, 11:03:09 AM8/24/13
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
hi erin and all,
evidently, IHR doesn't allow us to use funds from them in that manner, unfortunately. i know gsa funds aren't extensive, but might one of their grants help you get to this conference?
dg