9th Age magazine issue #1

Jason

Oct 13, 2016, 1:02:12 PM10/13/16
to Aero Hobbies Warhammer League

William Dodd

Oct 13, 2016, 1:08:09 PM10/13/16
to Aero Hobbies Warhammer League
Yeah, Stewart and I were talking about this yesterday.

Looks like pretty drastic changes ahead to army composition and magic. They look pretty interesting. Looks like they're trying to reign in the extremity of lists (gun lines, monster mash, etc) and make it less of a rock, paper, scissors game based on matchups.

Stewart Roud

Oct 13, 2016, 1:18:26 PM10/13/16
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
yeah was pretty skeptical when i heard what they were proposing but having read about it, i think it could be good - especially the army comp one.

Magic wise..dunno. i prefer the breadth they have now. Their argument that a "game hinges on some obscure spell that you don't know" is bogus. Just ask what the spell does before it gets cast! it's not rocket science...

Adam Levine

Oct 13, 2016, 3:00:56 PM10/13/16
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com

Yeah im not exactly thrilled with the army comp changes.  I understand that the "creators" don't like gunlines, but preventing people from playing an army the way they like is really bad game design.  If they actually implement the changes that they are talking about then I won't be able to really play my empire anymore.  I have so few units that shoot that i would have to spend a massive amount of money on the army just to make it playable again and i'm not going to do that.

Oct 13, 2016, 3:04:11 PM10/13/16
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
That don't shoot*  forgot a word there that makes that sentence make sense.

Aaron Chaum

Oct 13, 2016, 3:07:04 PM10/13/16
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
I think we just need to wait and see what the execution looks like.  I don't think they did themselves any favors by releasing a partial sneak peak because everyone is ripping it apart.

I would have liked to see slower more incremental changes, this seems like a lot all at once.  I'm cautiously optimistic though as their stated goal is to increase the flavor of the builds, so Adam may not have anything to worry about.

We shall see.  On another note, I love the magazine.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Adam Levine <Classi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Yeah im not exactly thrilled with the army comp changes.  I understand that the "creators" don't like gunlines, but preventing people from playing an army the way they like is really bad game design.  If they actually implement the changes that they are talking about then I won't be able to really play my empire anymore.  I have so few units that shoot that i would have to spend a massive amount of money on the army just to make it playable again and i'm not going to do that.

Jason

Oct 13, 2016, 5:53:22 PM10/13/16
to Aero Hobbies Warhammer League
Yea I'm very split on this. I think these are changes to address balanced tournament play. On one hand I really enjoy the freedom of the current/past system that lets you make the army you want....but I've also had games where as soon as both sides were deployed I knew I was screwed because my opponent focused on X, Y and Z as apposed to a more balanced list.

Adam - don't lose hope, they said those army-comp %'s would be different for each faction to reflect their flavor/fluff. Empire has always been the 'kitchen sink' faction so I imagine they won't be as restrictive as say ogres are in that sample. BUT it might mean less war machines...we'll see.

They're also saying in the magazine that these changes are only going to last a few months before they update AGAIN to 1.3. Then 1.3 is supposed to hand around for a longer time as they ramp up for 2.0. I hope that if the community at-large really hates the changes that the 9th Age committees will be open to changing things back or finding a comfortable middle ground.

So far I've really enjoyed 9th age, in all of its many renditions...so I'm keeping the faith and reserving judgement.

If all else fails....they keep all past editions available on their site, so we could always stick with one we like.

Filip CO

Oct 14, 2016, 10:25:16 AM10/14/16
to Aero Hobbies Warhammer League
I have to agree with Aaron. They've released a tiny sneak peak and everyone is an expert on the new rules id you read the forums. I can't say I'm especially excited about the proposed changes however their track record of making the game better, listening to the community and being flexible speaks volumes to me. Worst case scenario they change things back. Just have to remember they're doing this for free because they like this game. Just have to wait and see.....