9th Age Battle Report! Empire of Sonnstahl vs Orcs and Goblins 2,500

Jason

Feb 21, 2016, 2:19:47 PM2/21/16
to Aero Hobbies Warhammer League
Stewart and I tried out a game ahead of the new rules release to get our feet wet.

Empire

General on griffon
Captain w/ BSB
Level 2 Shadow wizard
Level 1 Fire wizard
Warrior Priest

12 Knights
10 Crossbows
10 Handgunners
40 "Imperial Guard" w/great weapons
-20 Halberd detachment
-20 halberd deatchment
4 Demigriffon knights
5 Pistoliers
Canon
Hellblaster

Goblins

Forest Goblin King on 'gargantula'
Cave Goblin King
Level 2 'Little Green Gods'
Level 2 Shadow wizard

55 Cave Goblins
40 Forest Goblins
10 Wolf riders
5 Wolf riders
7 Trolls
Giant
Great Green Idol
-BSB
Rock Lobba
Doom Diver

The infantry lines advance and the cavalry run up the flanks. The knights break through the unit of trolls and make it into the goblin backfield, meanwhile the goblin spear horde clashes with the empire infantry in the center and the Goblin monsters close in on the Empire general.

The Empire infantry smash the cave goblin horde, and the Great Green Idol and the forest goblins counter charge! The wolf riders are loose in the Empire back lines while the Empire General and his griffon duel with monstrous foes!

The Great Green Idol and the forest goblins are smashing through the Empire Infantry!

On turn 6 the Empire General has slain the monsters, and he and the knights rush in to save the center! What a game, lots of swings back and forth. Neither of us score the secondary objective, the empire have killed 100 more points than the goblins, they also captured 2 banners and killed the goblin general for a 300 point victory!

Really fun game! We each had like 10 models on the table at the end.
Some fun 9th Editions takeaways...
-Characters mounted on monsters (the gargantula) get their attacks, but attacks are resolved against the monster - counts as one model.-Characters mounted on monstrous cavalry (the griffon) combine and attack like a ridden monster BUT the rider contributes armor and ward saves to lthe stat line!-1 D6 for channeling with a +1 for each character that has 'channeling'.-Flank charging units with at least 2 ranks break steadfast!!!

Rob Rodgers

Feb 21, 2016, 4:00:00 PM2/21/16
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
I think I know why the goblins lost.  Their Great Green Idol turned from a frog to a Mai Tai mid game.

I'll be ready to try a game next weekend.

"The world doesn't end if the Doctor dances."

Stewart Roud

Feb 21, 2016, 7:48:14 PM2/21/16
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
yeah its great to be back playing WHFB. Ninth age is really a lot of fun, lots of little things have been tweaked that make a lot of sense. Looking forward to playing more!

Sterling Robertson

Feb 22, 2016, 4:28:16 AM2/22/16
to Aero Hobbies Warhammer League
I'd like to play a game with someone this week. Maybe an early afternoon game?

Sterling Robertson

Feb 22, 2016, 4:31:39 AM2/22/16
to Aero Hobbies Warhammer League
What is the great green idol based on?

Rob Rodgers

Feb 22, 2016, 4:16:37 PM2/22/16
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
You mean which WFB unit?  It was a short-lived warhammer forge product.

They better not take it out, I just dropped some cash on my new model for it.

"The world doesn't end if the Doctor dances."

Sterling Robertson

Feb 22, 2016, 4:19:23 PM2/22/16
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
Its not a squig? I’ve never heard of anything like it. Can I see a picture.

-Sterling

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Aero Hobbies Warhammer League" group.

Rob Rodgers

Feb 22, 2016, 4:21:29 PM2/22/16
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
don't look for the rules, GW killed all the links to warhammer forge

because, GW

"The world doesn't end if the Doctor dances."

William Dodd

Feb 22, 2016, 4:42:46 PM2/22/16
to Aero Hobbies Warhammer League
I dig it. I also dig how 9th is bringing in some non-official 8th units and even some new stuff. TK has an awesome magical ark mount/war platform for wizard. Not to be confused with the casket. It looks like they will release rules for new units down the line across the board. Hurray!

I love that idol model. Classic Judd Nelson pose.

Anton

Feb 23, 2016, 3:15:54 PM2/23/16
to Aero Hobbies Warhammer League
Rob, I'm pretty sure I could make that model from insulation foam. :)  But please tell me you're going to put the wood mask on it. That makes the model. Just the idea of a a rock monster putting on a scary mask is so ridiculous.

-Sterling

Rob Rodgers

Feb 23, 2016, 3:28:01 PM2/23/16
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
We discussed a 3d printed version, but I came up with a more creative idea that I've started on.

"The world doesn't end if the Doctor dances."

-Sterling

Adam Levine

Feb 23, 2016, 3:38:42 PM2/23/16
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
3d printed nothing, it would have been much faster and much easier to scratch build it.

Aaron

Feb 23, 2016, 5:11:51 PM2/23/16
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
Loved the bat rep, keep them coming. I've moved over pretty much totally to KoW but I am keeping tabs on 9th (mainly through YouTube bat reps)

Wish I could join in the campaign.

-Aaron