Re: Warhammer Fantasy

Sterling Robertson

Feb 6, 2017, 2:15:35 PM2/6/17
to Graydon White, Aero Hobbies Warhammer League
Hey Graydon,

I miss messages on Facebook, so I’m moving our conversation about playing a game of 9th Age this week to here. This google group used to be where did all our planning, but now its like sometimes Facebook, sometimes carrier pigeon….

Anyways, I’m free Wednesday and Thursday afternoon, we could play then. I could probably play tomorrow as well. Maybe 4,000 points which is equivalent to 2,000 in 8th. I like next-gen but I don’t know if they have terrain and mats, Aero usually has plenty of parking and table space on weekdays before 6pm. Thats probably easiest or I have space and great terrain at my house too. Let me know what you prefer.

-Sterling

On Jan 27, 2017, at 7:10 PM, Gmail <sterling...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Graydon,

I have triumph and treachery! I would play it if we adapted it for 9th but I've retired from 8th since 9th is everything I always wanted.

I would take another look at 9th, it's the same game but so much better. It's been out for a long time now. 8th is dead dead dead.

I don't know anyone who still plays 8th... If that's all you want to play you'll miss out on hanging and playing with a really great group of guys.

-Sterling

On Jan 26, 2017, at 8:34 PM, Graydon White <graydon...@gmail.com> wrote:

Also, if anyone has the old triumph and treachery set I'd be down to play a group game of some kind!

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 25, 2017, at 10:07, Rob Rodgers <rdr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Graydon,

Let me chime in that most of the dedicated Fantasy players I know of have moved on from 8th.  Our gang is playing 9th, along with folks from Santa Clarita and around the OC.  Others are playing Kings of War (meh) and Age of Sigmar (meh cubed.)  So I don't know what kind of response you would get to an 8th Edition tournament.  It would be interested to find out, and also interesting to see if they are aware of 9th.  It's just a better game at this point.

I could possible play a game next week or on the weekend.  I'd like to meet up at NextGen--I've still never been there but Jeremy is an old friend.  Well, technically, I'm his old friend.

Rob

"My get up and go must have got up and went."

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 10:00 AM, anton goldman <anton_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hey Graydon,
Rob and I are already scheduled to play this week otherwise I would be happy to play. I also want to echo everything Jason said about 9th. It's everything you like about 8th with improvements on all the stuff that didn't work. It's taken them about a year to get the rules to this stage of balance and the rumor is that at some point they're going to work on the other, zany stuff like characters and kooky terrain. If you haven't already reached-out to folks at Green Tower games in Santa Clarita, I would give them a shout. It's a bit of hike, but they have quite a few 9th age players. They are all on the FB group SoCal Fantasy Battles.

Anton

On Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:00 AM, Jason <jaso...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Graydon,

I'm actually pretty slammed this week then I have family in town all weekend. I CC'd a bunch of guys who might be able to play this week / weekend.

Guys - Graydon is looking for a game of good old 8th edition, but is open to learning 9th. Anyone up for a game? Apparently Jeremy might do an event at next gen...maybe we could get him to host 9th age stuff too! 🙂

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 24, 2017, at 8:17 PM, Graydon White <graydon...@gmail.com> wrote:

So end of February is when the tournament at next gen could happen. I will organize it when it gets closer to that time. In the mean time would you and any of the other group like to play a game this week?

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 7:44 PM, Graydon White <graydon...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jeremy said an 8th edition event at next gen is totally cool with him. Know anyone that would be interested in a very casual and friendly tournament?

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 7:37 PM, Graydon White <graydon...@gmail.com> wrote:
I guess the magic changes were the changes that I was most resistant too. I loved the randomness and craziness of 8th edition magic haha

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Graydon White <graydon...@gmail.com> wrote:
Alright man well I would love to try out a game. I am actually looking to play something this weekend. Are you free for a game of 8th or 9th this week?

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Jason <jaso...@gmail.com> wrote:
Very cool! Let me know if Jeremy does something and I might be down.

Having played a lot of 9th I'd say the basics are all the same. Mostly what they did was re-do the magic lores and adjust the points to make it a bit more balanced for tournament play. Once you get going it's really good old warhammer, but it puts a lot of people off. The changes seem intimidating but I promise you it's 8th edition with some cool changes. They gave slight needs to units that were abused, and slight buffs to units that were ignored. like they made rat ogres T5, and made stormfiends a tad less shooty.

A few other changes:

-irresistible spells can be dispelled, it's just way harder (or scrolled)

-magic lores were toned down slightly but are still super good

-cannons use BS instead of artillery dice so they don't auto hit anymore

-parry save changed from a 6+ ward to the unit not being able to get hit on better than a 4+

-they adjusted the point system to kinda sorta double. So a 2.5k game is 5k in 9th. Seemed annoying but it allows for more unit cost variation and balance .

It's all little stuff like that. I'd be super happy to do a little learning game with you 🙂 we're probably gonna host a 9th age tournament in march and there's one every month or so in east LA. So 9th is an active scene with regular events. Come play with us!

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 24, 2017, at 2:05 PM, Graydon White <graydon...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well yeah Id be interested. I looked into 9th age and it didnt really have the same feeling that I liked from 8th edition so I might just stick with that. But if you guys ever wanted to do a friendly 8th edition game or like a mini tournament I would be down. I play skaven and am working on an empire army. I also talked with Jeremy and he would be down to host some sort of 8th edition event at next gen. I talked to a few guys online that are also into 8th so it might have some support.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 1:49 PM, Jason <jaso...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ps- just realized we emailed a while back, not sure if we ever met or got a game in 🙂

Sent from my iPhone