9th Age - how is it?

Don Rice

Apr 2, 2017, 4:54:23 PM4/2/17
to Aero Hobbies Warhammer League
Hi Everybody,

So what is everyone's impression of 9th Age?

If you play 9th Age, what do you think?

If you tried 9th Age but don't play it, how come? and what are you playing instead for Warhammer style fantasy battle?

For either group, what rules do you recommend for Warhammer players who dropped out after Age of Sigmar?

Thanks,

  - Don
P.S. - I'm asking for a friend but also interested for myself.

Don Rice

Apr 2, 2017, 5:10:19 PM4/2/17
to Aero Hobbies Warhammer League
I'll answer for myself.

I've read earlier versions of 9th Age but haven't played it.

After Age of Sigmar, I tried Kings of War and although that game wasn't perfect, I liked its streamlined approach to fantasy battle games.  I did a lot of reflection about what I wanted out of a fantasy battle game, and realized I did *not* want the Warhammer style of detailed figure-based rules and the multi-hour game sessions they produced   However, I also realized I had limited time and I wanted to spend my modeling time making 3D play aids for my D&D group.  This has been rewarding and I'm still at it.  So I basically punted and don't play any fantasy battle games right now.

  - Don
=============

Stewart Roud

Apr 2, 2017, 7:50:56 PM4/2/17
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
Hey don,

9th age is a lot of fun, we've done several torunaments, and have been playing it a lot.

Basically its 8th ed but streamlined. A lot more fun than kings of bore, opps, i mean war ;)

Adam Hammer

Apr 3, 2017, 10:10:43 AM4/3/17
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
Not a fan.  8th was much better

Sent from my iPad

Jason

Apr 3, 2017, 11:51:01 AM4/3/17
to Aero Hobbies Warhammer League
I've been playing a lot of 9th age, and even got a little involved on the forums. I'm a fan. I tried a bunch of games after the End Times: Lots of AoS (even painted up some stormcasts) and a few of us spent a few weeks playing Kings of War. I enjoyed them both. All great games. In the end we leaned toward 9th age. It's 99% 8th edition with some changes/fixes we could all get behind.

The 'feel' of 9th age is basically 8th edition warhammer for sure, but some of the random elements have been toned down. A good way to think about is 8th edition warhammer re-balanced for competitive play. So the game is overall much more balanced at the cost of some of the unique flavor. On the flip side they introduced some new units and breathed some life into old units that were ignored. But like I said the 'feel' of 8th edition is still there.

Most importantly we have a big active group of players in 9th age. A good chunk of the old aero group is playing, as well as groups from a few different shops out in east LA. It seems like there's been a tournament or meet up of some kind at least once a month.

We've been bad about posting stuff here, we'll try to be better about that.

Filip CO

Apr 3, 2017, 12:17:47 PM4/3/17
to Aero Hobbies Warhammer League
If you liked 8th but hated the lack of balance and the extreme randomness of some of the armies and units 9th age is a great game. There are tournaments for it every month and a god community here in so cal. Aos is a completely different. East. It's skirmish and objective based. While there are only 4 pages of rules I've found there are a ton of rules for units you stil have to learn plus special rules in the generals compendium. If you really want to now what your army is capable of and what your opponents can bring in aos I found there are far more rules to learn than 9th which was a disappointment. Every unit in aos is like a snow flake wth it's own unique rule set which I personally found annoying.

Tim

Apr 3, 2017, 1:05:40 PM4/3/17
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com

See below

On 4/2/2017 1:54 PM, Don Rice wrote:
Hi Everybody,

So what is everyone's impression of 9th Age?
I was Ok with 8th, but most of the people moved to 9th so I went with them.  I liked that there were a number of people behind it and the rules seemed to make sense

If you play 9th Age, what do you think?
I started out liking it, but as the rules and lists changed they seemed very homogeneous to me.  They took away a lot of things I enjoyed about my army (Goblins), when the animosity rule was removed I stopped playing.

If you tried 9th Age but don't play it, how come? and what are you playing instead for Warhammer style fantasy battle?
See above, I am not playing any big fantasy battle games.  I tried Kings of War.  It felt like watered down beer, it had some good points, but it felt a little flat.

For either group, what rules do you recommend for Warhammer players who dropped out after Age of Sigmar?

Thanks,

  - Don
P.S. - I'm asking for a friend but also interested for myself.

Hadrian decided to build his wall so the Scots would be left undisturbed in their never-ending war against their mortal enemies... the Scots

Ross Cheung

Apr 3, 2017, 4:12:32 PM4/3/17
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
So where does one go to hear about 9th edition events?  I ask out of curiosity.

I've mostly moved on to Infinity which I am enjoying greatly, but love and miss Warhammer Fantasy dearly.  Some people I know have been playing and starting an Infinity meta, with a number of tournaments planned at Aero and Next-gen games coming up.

Ross

Rob Rodgers

Apr 3, 2017, 4:19:05 PM4/3/17
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com
We use a Facebook group.  Also their website has a very active community, with players and volunteers.  I help out as a community organizer for Orcs and Goblins.

I loved 8th because of the strategic aspects of the game.  9th feeds that beast for me, so I love it too.  I've tried tons of other games, but for some reason the fantasy milieu plus the models makes this the one I find truly compelling.
--

"My get up and go must have got up and went."

james_...@kibosh-games.com

Apr 3, 2017, 6:33:08 PM4/3/17
to aero-hobbies-w...@googlegroups.com

Seems like there are a lot of different underlining reasons we played and liked Warhammer to being with.

For me 9th Age lacks…Warhammer.  I liked the GW Warhammer world and liked playing in that world.  If 9th was just the rules I could live with it, but now it’s set in a similar *legally distinct* world.   It’s just not the same.

-J

Sent from Mail for Windows 10