Predicting forces

Hasan Babaei

Jul 23, 2018, 4:28:29 PM7/23/18
to aenet

Hello,

I was wondering if aenet trains also to forces.
I have generated an NN potential using aenet which predicts energy of a system perfectly (within 0,4 meV) but the forces are too far from what I get using DFT. During training, RMSE and MAE converges very well. Thanks in advance for you help.

Best,
Hasan

Nong Artrith

Jul 23, 2018, 4:33:17 PM7/23/18
to aenet
Dear Hasan,

Unfortunately, the current public version of aenet does not yet support force training.

Best,
Nong

Hasan Babaei

Jul 23, 2018, 4:40:20 PM7/23/18
to aenet
Thanks for the quick response. I am wondering how it predicts forces though?
Hasan

Hasan Babaei

Jul 23, 2018, 4:42:24 PM7/23/18
to aenet
And it also reads forces when training.

Nongnuch Artrith

Jul 23, 2018, 4:51:19 PM7/23/18
to Hasan Babaei, aenet
The atomic forces are computed from the analytical derivates of the ANN potential.  Please take a look at the aenet source code, and the expression is also given in equation (11) in Artrith and Behler, Phys. Rev. B 85, 045439, 2012 (https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.85.045439).

Note that the quality of the forces generally gets better the more reference data is used for the potential fit.

Nong

jia...@vt.edu

Nov 30, 2018, 9:07:08 PM11/30/18
to aenet
Dear Nong,

I have one follow up questions. If training the ANN potential only by the energy, can this ANN potential be used as molecular dynamics calculator? Since the atomic force is just derivation from the atomic energy, so is it reliable to run the molecular dynamics?

Best,
Jiamin

Nongnuch Artrith

Nov 30, 2018, 9:28:11 PM11/30/18
to jia...@vt.edu, ae...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jiamin,

Yes, you can use aenet's ANN potentials in your MD simulations.

Please confirm the accuracy of the atomic forces by comparing the predicted forces with your reference data.  If needed, the forces can be improved by including additional reference structures in the training set.

All the best,
Nong

Jiamin Wang

Nov 30, 2018, 9:30:48 PM11/30/18
to nongnuch...@gmail.com, ae...@googlegroups.com
Dear Nong,

Thanks a lot for responding. I will try it.

Best wishes,
Jiamin
--
Jiamin Wang