speed in scaling up

Jiahao Zhang

Feb 2, 2022, 1:32:04 PM2/2/22
to aenet
Dear people,
I was running molecular dynamics in aenet. The speeding of Aenet is relatively slow.
"Loop time of 627.95 on 48 procs for 5000 steps with 2592 atoms"
Any suggestion to improve it?
Best wishes
Jiahao

Artrith, N. (Nong)

Feb 2, 2022, 1:33:18 PM2/2/22
to Jiahao Zhang, aenet, Artrith, N. (Nong)
Dear Jiahao,

Which MD codes did you use?

Best wishes,
Nong

=========================
Nongnuch Artrith,
Assistant Professor
Debye Institute for Nanomaterials Science, Utrecht University
David de Wiedgebouw, Office 4.66, Universiteitsweg 99, 3584 CG Utrecht
Email: n.ar...@uu.nl
Phone: +31-6-28-15-97-99
Feb 2, 2022, 1:42:09 PM2/2/22
to Artrith, N. (Nong), aenet
I used lammps. I also did a serial test.
30% efficiency for 48 processes compared to 1 proc
Best wishes
Jiahao

Artrith, N. (Nong)

Feb 2, 2022, 1:48:32 PM2/2/22
to Jiahao Zhang, aenet
Hi Jiahao,

The LAMMPS interface should be quite efficient (J. Chem. Phys. 155, 074801 (2021); https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0063880).  Though, I am not surprised by the 30% parallel efficiency because of the small number of atoms. For 5,000 atoms, 1-8 cores should be more than enough.

Upon reading your message again, I have a few more questions in addition to the MD code:
  • What does “loop time” mean? Do you mean the computer time for a single MD time step?
  • What is the unit of the time in your message? Is the time in seconds? Or seconds/core?
  • What compiler did you use, and how exactly did you run the parallel simulation?
  • What is your ANN architecture? And which descriptor/featurization method did you use?
  • For the benefit of the aenet community, could you please sign your messages with your affiliation/status?
Best,
Nong

=========================
Nongnuch Artrith,
Assistant Professor
Debye Institute for Nanomaterials Science, Utrecht University
David de Wiedgebouw, Office 4.66, Universiteitsweg 99, 3584 CG Utrecht
Email: n.ar...@uu.nl
Feb 2, 2022, 2:20:44 PM2/2/22
to Artrith, N. (Nong), aenet, Drew Behrendt
Dear Prof. Nong,
We figure out that in the github https://github.com/HidekiMori-CIT/aenet-lammps
In the step 4:
make -f makefiles/Makefile.gfortran_serial lib
It’s actually using a serial version of annet.  Do you have a tutorial how to compile parallel?
Best wishes
Jiahao

Artrith, N. (Nong)

Feb 2, 2022, 2:38:29 PM2/2/22
to Jiahao Zhang, aenet, Drew Behrendt
Hi Jiahao,

It is correct that LAMMPS is linked with the serial version of 'libaenet'.  LAMMPS takes care of the parallelization.

I see that you are using the GNU Fortran compiler.  LAMMPS is much more efficient when compiled with the Intel Fortran compiler and Intel MPI, if you have access to it.  The Intel compilers are available on most computer clusters?

Best,
Nong

Did you also take a look at these tutorials? The notebook can be obtained from the provided GitHub links [1] and can also be run online via Google Colaboratory [2] aenet-lammps (a tutorial of short MD simulation liquid bulk water):