aeneasweb.org outage (now back online)

Alberto Pettarin

Dec 10, 2017, 10:32:15 AM12/10/17
to aeneas-forc...@googlegroups.com
Dear aeneas(web.org) users,

just to let you know that aeneasweb.org was offline from 2017-12-06 to
today 2017-12-10, for an unknown failure --- my current best guess is
that OVH, the host of the VPS, rebooted the server (as it periodically
does *without* warning --- but hey, it is a really really cheap VPS, I
do not feel I can complain too much!), and the Web app did not start
correctly when the VPS rebooted.

Now the Web app is back online and usable.

The outage took so "long" to "fix" because I was on a business trip, and
I did not know about it until today, when I read the emails from ~5
concerned users.

This "accident" offers me a chance to remind everyone that aeneasweb.org
has been living off donations to cover the VPS cost for some time now,
and while it normally does not require any work on my side, nevertheless
I cannot guarantee 100% uptime --- if I am sick, on vacation, on a
business trip, otherwise not able to access my laptop with the VPS
credentials... I simply cannot do anything to fix any problem affecting
aeneasweb.org , so please be patient.

In case a similar problem happens in the future, please send me an
email. If I do not reply within 3 days, feel free to send another one.
Before feeling frustrated because aeneasweb.org is down, please read the
paragraph a couple of times.

Best regards,

Alberto Pettarin

Alberto Pettarin

Feb 12, 2018, 4:07:08 PM2/12/18
to aeneas-forc...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

just to let you know that aeneasweb.org has been offline (at least) for
the last 5 days, but now I brought it back online.

Again, a combination of work and flu kept me away from my personal
emails in the last 5-7 days, and therefore I missed two messages from a
user alerting me that the Web app was offline.

(Now I am seriously pondering whether the existence of the Web app is
justified, considering it serves only a couple of users, apparently.)

Best regards,

Alberto Pettarin

Joseph Polizzotto

Feb 15, 2018, 12:53:37 PM2/15/18
to aeneas-forc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this communication Alberto.

FWIW, I am still pushing the AWA every time I speak at conferences or conduct trainings about captioning. It is surprising to me that more people don’t use it!

Best,

Joseph

michele gianella

Feb 15, 2018, 1:29:42 PM2/15/18
to aeneas-forc...@googlegroups.com
(Now I am seriously pondering whether the existence of the Web app is
justified, considering it serves only a couple of users, apparently.)

FWIW, I am still pushing the AWA every time I speak at conferences or conduct trainings about captioning. It is surprising to me that more people don’t use it!

So do I among TEDTranslators!
I guess we now know who the couple of users actually are :-P
Michele