Woods Point 1882

Brendan Duffy

Apr 29, 2023, 11:26:14 PM4/29/23
to aee...@googlegroups.com, James La Greca, Meghan Miller, Mark Quigley

Interesting to see an earthquake that shook Woods Point in 1882 and was supposedly felt in Melbourne

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article250069410

Dr Brendan Duffy (he/him)

Honorary Fellow in Structural Geology and Tectonics

Technical Director – Geology

School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences

GHD Victoria (brenda...@ghd.com)

cid:image001.png@01D6B9B3.B83C9170

The Power of Commitment

www.faultrock.nz  |   unimelb.edu.au  |  @structuregeo

Ninis, Dee

Apr 30, 2023, 12:05:38 AM4/30/23
to aee...@googlegroups.com, James La Greca, Meghan Miller, Mark Quigley
Nice find, Brendan!
And very interesting, if true!

Dee

Dee Ninis

Earthquake Geologist - Seismology Research Centre

141 Palmer Street, Richmond VIC 3121, Australia

T +61 3 8420 8998 F +61 3 8420 8900

Find us on our WebsiteFacebookTwitter and YouTube

Research Affiliate - School of Earth, Atmosphere & Environment

Monash University

I acknowledge and respect the Traditional Indigenous Custodians of Country throughout Australia, and Elders past and present. I recognise their cultures and continuing connection to land, waters and community.

Ninis, Dee

Apr 30, 2023, 8:11:14 PM4/30/23
to jlag...@student.unimelb.edu.au, aee...@googlegroups.com, Meghan Miller, Mark Quigley
Thanks for pointing this out, James.

I have to say, I was surprised when I saw Brendan's email and initially thought that this was an earthquake that Kevin had somehow missed! So I checked the GA earthquake catalogue yesterday, as I had always assumed that the GA catalogue was complete in that way - i.e., included all of Kevin's historical events.
Why isn't this event in the GA catalogue? Because of large epicentral location uncertainties?
Lesson learned - I now know to double-check the literature! How many other previously-identified historical events aren't in the GA catalogue?? 😬

Dee

On Sun, Apr 30, 2023 at 4:16 PM <jlag...@student.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

Hey Brendan,

I just had a quick look at “Historical earthquakes in Victoria: A Revised List” by Kevin McCue and it’s listed in there.

(Historical-earthquakes-in-Victoria.pdf (aees.org.au)). I wasn’t aware of this event!

McCue provides an estimate for an approx. mag of 5.1 near Jamieson.

Cheers,

James

Kevin McCue

May 5, 2023, 7:31:59 AM5/5/23
to AEES, James La Greca, Meghan Miller, Mark Quigley
Brendan and others
I revised the isoseismal map using additional information from TROVE. Magnitude is about the same, the location slightly changed.
Cheers
Kevin

1882 11 17

12:08

37.3

145.7

5.1

Jamieson

1882 11 17 at 12:08 UTC, Near Jamieson Victoria

Geelong Advertiser Saturday 18 November 1882, Page 4.

THE EARTHQUAKE. It is now some three or four month since one of those incidental disturbances of the earth's crust, which are, if not periodic, at least rather often recurrent, in the various parts of the Gippsland District, North and South, occurred, but the movement was a very slight one. Last night, however, a very severe shock of earthquake was felt throughout the eastern portion of this colony, concentrating its force on the distinctly volcanic locality of Woods Point and Gaffney's Creek.

The activity of the geodetic wave was felt to a very marked degree at Mansfield and Jamieson, and in the adjacent districts of Matlock, and Jericho, and the populated centres along the valley of the Thompson were also disturbed to a corresponding extent. It appears, indeed, that this is the most violent earthquake that has been experienced for a number of years in any part of Australia, and as a portent of what might prove to be the revivification of  a line of extinct volcanoes, or of a single crater, the visitation may not be looked upon as a welcome one. From intelligence received from other parts of the interior it seems that the earthquake extended over a very wide area. It is not, of course, ascertained in which precise locality the disturbance took its rise, but, judging from its force, and the direction taken, it is probable that parts of the eastern portion of the sister colony of New South Wales felt the agitation. The extremest limits of its action have not been ascertained, but that it was very wide-spreading is attested by the fact that it was noticed—though to a slight degree only, in the city of Melbourne, and some of the suburbs.

Figure 9 Felt area of the 17 November 1882 earthquake felt throughout Melbourne and widely in east-central Victoria.

The disturbance occurred at 10 o'clock, its motions being registered a little after that hour. In St. Kilda and Richmond an uplifting and undulating movement was felt distinctly, and many were for some moments at a loss to account for the phenomenon. In the city the undulation, though gentle, was also felt. Mr R. L. J, Ellery, the Government Astronomer, relates that he, in company with other scientists, was engaged in discussion at the Royal Society's Hall, and that at the time named he distinctly noticed an uprising of the floor. He did not at the time feel confident of it being the consequent of an earthquake, but after taking incidental probabilities into account he came to the conclusion that it was so. He states that slight shocks have been felt in various parts of the colony at recent dates, but this is perhaps the severest that has been recorded as having extended over so wide a superficies. The only telegram received up till noon, however, at the Observatory was the following:—Cape Schanck.—A shock of earthquake felt at 10.5 last night, lasting few seconds only, accompanied by rumbling; direction of wave cannot be stated."

A correspondent writes:—With reference to the shock of earthquake reported in this morning's papers, I may state that shortly after retiring to bed at the Lord Clyde Hotel, Flinders-street, last evening, about nine o'clock, I felt a sensation of trembling. My first thought was that some one was under my bed. Finding no person in that interesting spot, I next sounded the partition near my bed, thinking that parties in the next room were jumping on their bed. I then thought that, as music was going on downstairs, there must be some vibration caused thereby. -Friday's Herald.

The Argus Monday 20 November 1882, Page 10.

NOTES FROM THE OBSERVATORY.

THE EARTHQUAKE

The earthquake which occurred about eight minutes past 10 on Thursday evening appears to have had its centre somewhere between Mansfield, Jamieson, and Alexandra, and its line of action in a S.W. direction from that locality, for it was most marked at places along that line, especially at Berwick and Cape Schanck. It was plainly, though faintly, felt all over the neighbourhood of Melbourne. Near Jamieson it appears to have been quite a strong shock, and more violent than usually experienced in this part of Australia.

Leader (Melbourne, Vic. : 1862 - 1918, 1935), Saturday 18 November 1882, page 32

Wood's Point, 16th November.

A severe shock of earthquake passed over Wood's Point at about 10 o'clock this evening, travelling S.S.E. It was by far the heaviest shock that has ever been felt in this district, dislodging articles from their places, though fortunately no serious damage was done.

Mansfield, 10th November. A very severe shock of earthquake was felt here at ten o'clock to-night, travelling S.S.E. The shock was the heaviest ever experienced in this district. Many of the inhabitants were seriously alarmed.

Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Saturday 18 November 1882, page 16

TO THE EDITOR OF THE ARGUS.

Sir,—A distinct shock of an earthquake was felt here last night about half-past 9 o'clock. A strange rumbling sound was heard as if proceeding from a north-easterly direction, which was immediately followed by the shock, causing the house to vibrate as if struck by some heavy body, and making the crockery on the shelves rattle together.—I am, &c.,

W. GOODALL. Coranderrk, Nov. 17.

Mount Alexander Mail (Vic. : 1854 - 1917), Saturday 18 November 1882, page 2

A severe shock of earthquake was felt in Jamieson at a quarter past ten on Thursday evening, which shook every house in the town. Persons standing in the road were nearly thrown to the ground. The mailman from Wood's Point to Jamieson was thrown on to the horse's neck. The shock, which appeared to be travelling from north-east to south-west, caused quite a consternation in the town, many persons rising from their beds to know the cause. The shock was also felt at Woods' Point and Mansfield.

Ovens and Murray Advertiser (Beechworth, Vic. : 1855 - 1955), Thursday 23 November 1882, page 4

Earthquake. — With respect to the shock of earthquake recently recorded as having been felt in various parts of the colony, we are informed by Mr Wighton, of the Bank of Australasia, Beechworth, that the servant-girl in his employ states that she distinctly noticed it.

Note: Coranderrk was the site of an Aboriginal Settlement at the intersection of the Yarra R and Badger Ck.

The shock was felt distinctly at Hawthorn, but a report from Maryborough in several of the newspapers is of a different earthquake.

GHD Victoria (brenda...@ghd.com)

<image001.png>