Largest earthquake simulation ever - video

Ninis, Dee

May 9, 2023, 7:39:01 PM5/9/23
to aee...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Overnight, the Jacobs school of Engineering at the University of California San Diego, undertook the largest ever earthquake simulation. The full-scale mass-timber high rise was tested on a shake table with motions equivalent to the 1994 M6.7 Northridge earthquake, as well as the 1999 M7.7 Chi Chi earthquake (I'm not sure at what distance).
The recording is ~23 minutes long, and there is noticeable shaking at 12:30 and again at 18:00. Watch it here - it's pretty cool!

You're welcome 😉

Dee

--

Dee Ninis

Earthquake Geologist - Seismology Research Centre

141 Palmer Street, Richmond VIC 3121, Australia

T +61 3 8420 8998 F +61 3 8420 8900

Find us on our WebsiteFacebookTwitter and YouTube

Research Affiliate - School of Earth, Atmosphere & Environment

Monash University

I acknowledge and respect the Traditional Indigenous Custodians of Country throughout Australia, and Elders past and present. I recognise their cultures and continuing connection to land, waters and community.