Victorian earthquake updates

Adam Pascale

Oct 18, 2021, 7:43:55 PM10/18/21
to AEES Google Group
Dear AEES members,

Here’s just a quick update on the recent earthquake activity if you haven’t seen it elsewhere.

The attached map shows activity in southeast Australia for the last two weeks, as located by the SRC: 248 earthquakes, 149 of which are Woods Point aftershocks, plus 23 aftershocks that followed the MLv4.7 earthquake south of Murrayville near the South Australian border. We typically locate 30-40 earthquakes in this map area each week, so the activity rate of other events is in the normal range.

Regarding aftershock monitoring around Woods Point, the University of Melbourne installed 6 temporary stations and SRC installed 4 ready-deployment kits (RDKs) from Geoscience Australia within a few days of the Mw5.9. Two of the UniMelb instruments are able to stream live data most of the time. The first aftershock-station data-collection trips were completed a week ago, but the solutions in the map have not yet been refined with that data set.

I’ve also attached a magnitude vs. time graph for the Woods Point aftershocks. The gap in small-magnitude events in the first few days is due to data that is yet to be processed, but data from the 27th is fairly complete due to telemetered temporary stations.

Members of the SAA (Seismological Association of Australia) from Adelaide travelled to the border on the day of the Murrayville event and deployed 3 stations to the west of the epicentre, and one station from UniMelb was installed to the east. These stations are shown around the attached plot of epicentres, which again are located by the SRC using existing live streaming data (only using stations >120km away) without aftershock-station data.

If you’re interested in viewing the weekly earthquake maps for southeast Australia, they are published on SRC’s social media channels (links below).

Regards,

Adam Pascale
Chief Scientist
141 Palmer Street, Richmond VIC 3121, Australia
Find me on TwitterInstagram and LinkedIn
Find SRC on FacebookTwitterInstagramLinkedIn and YouTube