USGS - The HayWired Scenario

1 view

Jordan Bartlett

Sep 2, 2021, 9:49:05 AM9/2/21
to aee...@googlegroups.com

Hello All,

I feel the following would provide an interesting read for many members.

‘The HayWired Scenario’

Telecommunications and Information Communication Technology

By Anne M. Wein, David T. Witkowski, Jamie L. Jones, Keith A. Porter, Laurel R. Ballanti, and Sara K. McBride

Chapter S of The HayWired Earthquake Scenario—Societal Consequences Edited by Shane T. Detweiler and Anne M. Wein

https://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2017/5013/vol3/s/sir20175013s.pdf

Abstract The HayWired scenario—a moment magnitude (Mw) 7.0 rupture of the Hayward Fault and an aftershock sequence—is initiated in the east bay part of the San Francisco Bay region of California and is within 25 miles of Silicon Valley, a global center of internet commerce and communications technology. The scenario is named, in part, to recognize society’s dependence on wired and wireless communication technologies (telecommunications) and the networked information, computing, data storage, and processing technologies known collectively as information and communications technology. Following the Applied Technology Council, we refer to these technologies collectively as telecommunications.

Regards,

Jordan Bartlett | Proactive Design

E: jor...@proactivedesign.com.au

M: +61 411 12 13 19