2021 AEES conference update and abstract submission reminder [SEC=OFFICIAL]

Trevor Allen

Jul 20, 2021, 7:10:15 PM7/20/21
to aee...@googlegroups.com

Dear colleagues,

These are clearly difficult times for the nation and I hope that you are all well and are keeping safe in this ongoing health crisis.

I just wanted to provide an update to the membership regarding the current plan for the 2021 AEES conference, scheduled for November.  The organising committee met on Monday night and we discussed a range of options in light of the developing situation that is affecting many of us.  Our options included a virtual-only meeting, through to postponing the meeting to early in the new year.  In the end, the committee chose to proceed with the current plan of hosting an in-person conference in November.  However, we will continue to monitor the situation and make an informed decision based on the best health advice.

Otherwise, the conference planning is going well.  We have two confirmed keynote speakers: Ken Elwood from the University of Auckland and Mark Quigley from the University of Melbourne.  We hope to confirm a third keynote speaker shortly.  We will provide further details on these keynotes on the conference webpage shortly.  We are also planning a field excursion to a “world class” palaeoseismic site on the Willunga fault.  The fieldtrip will be led by Mark Quigley and Dan Clark and we plan to have one or more trenches open across a well-preserved scarp on the fault.  The site also happens to be located on a winery with a cellar door for those that may not be interested in big holes in the ground!  I’m really looking forward to it!

We hope to open up registrations shortly and the cost model will be for an in-person conference.  However, if we do have to pivot to an online meeting, these registration costs will be revised and a partial refund will be provided to those that register early.

Finally, whilst the conference abstract submission deadline has officially passed, we will still accept abstracts submitted in the next week.  So, if you haven’t already, please consider submitting your conference abstract today!

This is clearly a very fluid situation and we ask the membership to bear with us in this time of uncertainty.  We will ensure to keep the membership updated as our planning evolves.  Thank you for your patience and please stay healthy and well.  If you have any questions or concerns, please let me or any of the other committee members know.

Kind regards,

Trevor (on behalf of the 2021 conference organising committee)