Forty Seconds – Memories of the 1968 Meckering Earthquake

Dan

Sep 27, 2021, 9:39:20 PM9/27/21
to aeesorg

Hi Folks,

Those of your who joined us for the 2018 AEES field trip out to Meckering will remember the amazing contribution that Alice Snook made to the trip, talking us through the events of that day from the steps of her collapsed house ‘Salisbury’ with her husband Graham. Well, Alice is just about to release a book on the 1968 Meckering earthquake, with the launch scheduled for the 23rd of October! It’s titled “Forty Seconds – Memories of the 1968 Meckering Earthquake”.

Below is a summary Alice sent me to whet your appetite. Cost for the book is $35, and postage might be in the order of $10.

At this stage I would ask that people to register their interest with me (dan....@ga.gov.au) in purchasing a copy. Depending upon demand, we might be able to do a bulk order through the AEES ecommerce site and save on some postage (and effort on Alice’s part).

Or, to place an order individually, or for further information please contact Alice Snooke:

Email:    gwaesnooke@icloud; Phone     0448  907  251

Cheerio,

Dan.

Dan Clark PhD Research Geoscientist/Earthquake Geologist

Community Safety Branch | Place, Space and Communities Division | Available Mondays to Thursdays

 t +61 2 6249 9606 www.ga.gov.au

In 2019 Meckering resident Alice Snooke asked for those who experienced the 1968 Meckering earthquake to send their stories/memories to be collated and compiled into a book.
Alice received 180 stories from people of all ages which, together with 50 photographs will be ready for sale late September.

To record this historic event, an aerial photo of the Meckering Townsite taken immediately after the earthquake,will introduce you to the book followed by a brief history of Meckering then the facts of the earthquake and the impact it had on the Meckering community.

The stories will follow with many graphic photos with captions. The book will be complete with a comparison of Meckering 1968 and today 2021.

The dimensions of the book are

         Width  22cm.        Height   28cm.        Approximately.   300pages.

Alice will be taking out cost from sales and the remainder invested in the Meckering community.

image008.png