RE: [SOCIAL NETWORK] Earthquake near Woods Point, Victoria [SEC=OFFICIAL]

Trevor Allen

Sep 25, 2021, 9:25:26 PM9/25/21
to aee...@googlegroups.com

Hi John and all,

Just following on from your comments on the correspondence of damage potential and geotechnical conditions, I just wanted to point members to GA’s online felt reports for the event.  We received almost 43,000 felt reports for the event (an absolutely amazing citizen science contribution!), which we were able to use to estimate Modified Mercalli Intensities, aggregated at several spatial scales (20, 10, 5 & 1 km).  Whilst I acknowledge there may be some uncertainties around unverified responses from citizens, studies elsewhere in the world have found that they are remarkably reliable, to the first order.  To view the reported intensities, click on the link below, scroll to the bottom of the panel on the right, and click on “Felt Grid” – then zoom in to your area of interest.

https://earthquakes.ga.gov.au/event/ga2021sqogij

I personally cannot see any obvious trends within Melbourne that might account for the damage seen on Chapel St, but note that the smallest 1-km resolution may still be too coarse to see such details.  Note that there may be some isolated cells that indicate higher intensities than surrounding cells, but oftentimes when you click on these cells, they may only contributed from a single response.  As such I would not consider them to be overly reliable without further verification.

No doubt, we’ll be learning a lot more from these data in the years to come!

Cheers,

Trev

From: da...@earthquake.net.au
Date: 24 September 2021 at 11:08:01 am AEST
To: aee...@googlegroups.com

Hi all

Sounds like the second USGS moment tensor might be close – 21.5km

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000fd9v/moment-tensor

Will be interesting to see aftershock depths if units can be located well in that terrain.

Regards

David

Sep 26, 2021, 10:04:04 PM9/26/21
to AEES Google Group
Sorry I haven’t been posting info about the Woods Point earthquake to the AEES group. It’s been a crazy few days. Just a reminder that you can keep up with news on our various social media platforms (you don’t need an account - they’re all publicly visible):

Find me on TwitterInstagram and LinkedIn
Find SRC on FacebookTwitterInstagramLinkedIn and YouTube

A few quick technical notes:

  • Closest station to the main event was TOT, which clipped out all channels of its seismometer.
  • The horizontal channels of GLMM, JEER, WILL, and DTMM also clipped out.
  • GLMM (the closest station which only just clipped out) when converted from velocity to acceleration works out to a 3D PGA of 0.11g at 63km hypo central distance.
  • CDNM was the closest actual accelerograph and shows PGA of 0.015g at 109km.
  • A seismometer running at our office recorded a PGA of 0.0335g. This seismograph is just under 5km from the site of the URM collapse in Chapel Street.
  • Recording of this SRCHQ station attached. Download Waves to view and use as you please. Data can be exported to CSV from Waves if you want to process the data in other ways.

Regards, Adam.

2021-09-21 2315 SRCHQ.dmx.gz
Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 11.50.22 am.png