Exploring Australian hazard map exceedance using an Atlas of historical ShakeMaps

Dan

Apr 2, 2023, 7:05:26 PM4/2/23
to aeesorg
A new paper from our former president et al. testing the performance of a range of Australian Seismic Hazard Maps against historical ground shaking intensity data.  https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/87552930231151977

geor...@bigpond.net.au

Apr 4, 2023, 4:16:57 PM4/4/23
to aee...@googlegroups.com

Dan

Thanks. Vey interesting.

In my view however we should be designing for much rarer events than those with a return period of about 500 years at a single location.  If a major earthquake occurs in the vicinity of a significant urban area it will be one with an average return period of occurrence of much more than 500 years.  Many countries are now regarding at least 2000 years as better basis for earthquake design.

Regards

George

George & Mary Walker

229/96 Village Way

Little Mountain Qld 4551  Australia

Home Phone:  +61 7 5212 6229

Mobile Phones: +61 487 403 751 / +61 488 424 689

Email: geor...@bigpond.net.au