Morocco earthquake

pres...@aees.org.au

Sep 11, 2023, 7:47:50 PM9/11/23
to aee...@googlegroups.com

AEES Vice President Dee Ninis and AEES Member Ryan Hoult recently contributed to The Conversation about the recent Morocco earthquake (see link below). Well done Dee and Ryan.

An absolutely tragic loss of life has occurred from this earthquake. This event again shows us damaging earthquakes can occur in low to moderate seismicity regions (like Australia), and highlights the importance of designing robust structures that can resist a minimum level of ground shaking and more importantly, the vulnerability of existing and historic buildings that have (likely) never been designed for earthquake actions.

https://theconversation.com/morocco-earthquake-experts-explain-why-buildings-couldnt-withstand-the-force-of-the-6-8-magnitude-quake-213245

Kind regards,

Scott

--

Scott Menegon PhD CPEng

President

Australian Earthquake Engineering Society

www.aees.org.au | pres...@aees.org.au | +61 400 709 335

image001.png

Paul Somerville

Sep 11, 2023, 7:55:31 PM9/11/23
to aee...@googlegroups.com
Scott, Dee and Ryan

Thanks for that.

My colleague Dr Hong Kie Thio sent me the following information:

I came upon the Moroccan building codes this weekend and plotted the M6.8 earthquake on the same map. The shading of this is pretty horrific, as far as I can tell Zone 0 (lowest hazard) is most of the Spanish Sahara (not really Morocco, by the way) and the event occurred in Zone 2. The highest zone (4) is around Agadir to the Southwest (difficult to see the bull’s eye) and the Rif mountains in the north. I can’t really tell whether the other areas are zone 1 or 3, and this is downloaded from the official Moroccan government website! Sure hope the printed version is clearer. I suspect the next iteration will have the entire Atlas range as zone 3 or 4. Base PGA for these zones range from .1 to .2g.

Paul Somerville

--
⚠️ Replies to this message will be publicly visible
---