Earthquake location software

Adam Pascale

Aug 20, 2021, 3:01:51 AM8/20/21
to AEES Google Group
Dear AEES members,

As we’re all interested in some aspect of earthquakes, for those who don’t play with them on a regular basis I thought I’d share a little exercise that I put out to the world for Science Week. We’ve updated our free Waves program (for Windows, macOS and Ubuntu) with some new tools that make locating local earthquakes fun and easy. I’ve also uploaded the waveform data from a small earthquake in suburban Melbourne that occurred in July, where the closest station was the one I was testing in my garage while working from home!

Feel free to download the program and data and play around with picking P and S waves and see what answer you get. This might be a handy tool for students to understand the process of locating earthquakes too.

Cheers, Adam.

Adam Pascale
Chief Scientist
141 Palmer Street, Richmond VIC 3121, Australia
Find SRC on FacebookTwitterInstagramLinkedIn and YouTube

Kevin McCue

Aug 20, 2021, 3:43:32 AM8/20/21
to AEES
G'day Adam

I am all for making these small local earthquakes fun, working out the location (model independent) and depth (model dependent), estimating the magnitude. It also shows how necessary it is to have a close seismograph plus 5 or 6 well distributed stations. Science needn’t be stuffy and formal.

And that’s only the start, it can get more interesting, checking the 3D location against the geological map, is there a likely causative fault or not and if so what other faults may be linked to this one.

Finally, if you play enough you might get some appreciation of how big and close an earthquake has to get to be felt, to cause minor damage.

Best still it informs people that Australia does in fact have real earthquakes and they may well cause damage.

Many thanks

Kevin

On 20 Aug 2021, at 17:01, Adam Pascale <adam.p...@src.com.au> wrote:

Dear AEES members,

As we’re all interested in some aspect of earthquakes, for those who don’t play with them on a regular basis I thought I’d share a little exercise that I put out to the world for Science Week. We’ve updated our free Waves program (for Windows, macOS and Ubuntu) with some new tools that make locating local earthquakes fun and easy. I’ve also uploaded the waveform data from a small earthquake in suburban Melbourne that occurred in July, where the closest station was the one I was testing in my garage while working from home!

Feel free to download the program and data and play around with picking P and S waves and see what answer you get. This might be a handy tool for students to understand the process of locating earthquakes too.

Cheers, Adam.

<ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif>