Error - Failed to download remote dictionary listing. Cleartext HTTP traffic to www.baka.sk not permitted

Timothy Connor

Nov 29, 2018, 8:53:33 AM11/29/18
to aedict-users
Pie as installed on my Essential PH-1 is no longer able to download dictionary updates.  If I install one of the APKs  that aren't part of the revisions in the past 48 hours or so it works fine.

As of version 3.50.9 it doesn't work.

This version works fine on Android version 5.x on my Kindle HD8.

Thanks.

Martin Vysny

Nov 29, 2018, 12:26:14 PM11/29/18
to aedict...@googlegroups.com
Hi Timothy,

that's really weird, since the only thing what's different between
3.50.8 and 3.50.9 is the added permission necessary for Android 9: the
android.permission.FOREGROUND_SERVICE service. Also, the dictionary
download routine hasn't been changed in quite a while.

So, there is no measurable difference between 3.50.8 and 3.50.9; so I'm
guessing there is something fishy going on with your phone.

Actually it seems that Google declared war on http:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45940861/android-8-cleartext-http-traffic-not-permitted

Looks like I need to poll the dictionaries via https. Let me investigate.

Best,
Martin
> --
> Please support the Aedict development, by subscribing for Aedict
> Ultimate in Google Play - thank you very much!
> ---

Martin Vysny

Nov 29, 2018, 1:17:55 PM11/29/18
to aedict...@googlegroups.com

Timothy Connor

Nov 29, 2018, 2:25:55 PM11/29/18
to aedict-users
Thanks!

It hasn't pushed through Google Play yet, but if there are any issues when it finally shows up I'll post back here.

Regards, Tim

Jim Breen

Nov 29, 2018, 5:47:35 PM11/29/18
to aedict-users
>> Actually it seems that Google declared war on http:

Indeed. Let me know if there's anything I can change in the
dictionary distribution sites that would help.

The WWWJDIC mirror at edrdg.org is now using https, not  that
it helps this situation.

Jim

Martin Vysny

Nov 30, 2018, 1:26:26 AM11/30/18
to aedict...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim, all,

  the "Google war" only applies to Android phones: Android 9 no longer allows apps to access stuff via http. Aedict doesn't access Jim's sites directly but it downloads pre-indexed binary Lucene files from my site. This saves CPU on the phone since Aedict doesn't have to index the files itself. Therefore, I only need to enable https on my site.

  To prepare the pre-indexed Lucene files, I run the Aedict Indexer from my machine on a monthly basis. Indexer polls data from Jim's sites and uploads indexed files. Indexer works with http/ftp without any issue.

  Typically it's better to have https, for example to prevent MITM attacks, throwing manufactured dictionaries into my Indexer. Yet I can't imagine what would be the benefit of spoofing dictionary files...

Best,
Martin
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to aedict-users...@googlegroups.com.

Timothy Connor

Dec 2, 2018, 12:09:14 PM12/2/18
to aedict-users
Seems to have worked!  Thanks.

Martin Vysny

Dec 3, 2018, 12:52:41 AM12/3/18
to aedict...@googlegroups.com
Cool, thanks! I hope that all Android versions will support https and won't crash in variety of ways...