ftp.monash.edu.au down?

martin.vysny

May 5, 2021, 8:19:03 AM5/5/21
to aedict-users

Hello everyone,
  according to https://www.edrdg.org/jmdict/j_jmdict.html the newest JMDict can be obtained at the following link:

However, I am unable to download the file from that link, because the server name is apparently not known, which is weird:

ping ftp.monash.edu.au
ping: ftp.monash.edu.au: Name or service not known

Unfortunately this prevents me from uploading an updated Japanese dictionary to Aedict. Can anyone else try it out please and let me know whether it works for you?
Thank you,
Best regards,
Martin

Jim Breen

May 5, 2021, 7:25:24 PM5/5/21
to aedict-users
Some months ago Monash closed their ftp service for security reasons. I thought I'd updated all the WWW pages pointing to it but obviously I missed at least one.
I also announced the changes on as many forums and mailing lists as I could reach.

The last available ftp source of the files is my server at ftp://ftp.edrdg.org/pub/Nihongo/

Jim

Aaron Deadman

May 10, 2021, 1:26:31 AM5/10/21
to aedict...@googlegroups.com
Jim Breen announced that the Monash FTP server was closing down: https://sci.lang.japan.narkive.com/M83fuoQU/monash-university-ftp-server-closing-down

The place for the latest updates is now http://ftp.edrdg.org/pub/Nihongo/00INDEX.html

Regards
Aaron

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 3:27 PM Aaron Deadman <aa...@introspection.net.au> wrote:
Are you able to use one of the mirrors?

Regards
Aaron

--
Please support the Aedict development, by subscribing for Aedict Ultimate in Google Play - thank you very much!
---

Aaron Deadman

May 10, 2021, 1:26:31 AM5/10/21
to aedict...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 1:19 PM martin.vysny <martin...@gmail.com> wrote:

Martin Vysny

May 10, 2021, 1:26:31 AM5/10/21
to aedict...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jim,

thank you for the explanation. That makes sense - ftp is being deprecated worldwide after all. Thank you for the updated links, everything works well now :)

Best regards,

Martin