Re: How to Open the JMdict Raw Data?

Martin Vysny

Feb 15, 2019, 10:36:24 AM2/15/19
to Michael Purtill, aedict-users
Hi Michael,
You can't open that file by any typical app. It's Apache lucene index file with binary data structure that is not even meant to be read by anything else than aedict.
Best,
Martin

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019, 17:29 Michael Purtill <michaelp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I'd like to work with the raw data file included in the JMdict_e dataset, but the file has no extension and it causes my text programs to crash upon opening it. What is the best way to open the file?

Thank you,

-Michael Purtill

Martin Vysny

Feb 15, 2019, 11:08:19 AM2/15/19
to Michael Purtill, aedict...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

ah, you perhaps mean this one:
http://www.edrdg.org/jmdict/edict_doc.html ? If yes, then it's not my
place to grant any access since the project is owned by Jim Breen.
However, there is the following clause regarding the usage of the
dictionary files at http://www.edrdg.org/

Quoting: "Hitherto the files were freely available for non-commercial
use, and restricted from commercial exploitation. in February 2003 it
was decided to make the files more freely available for use, both
commercial and non-commercial, subject to a number of conditions mainly
to ensure adequate and appropriate acknowledgement. "

Best,
Martin

On 15.2.2019 17.56, Michael Purtill wrote:
> Thank you for the info!
>
> I managed to get the file open in a text editor and I see that it is a
> well structured format. I have another question, would it be alright if
> I used this file for a school project? I'm a student at Acadia
> University in Canada, and I'd like to make a Japanese parser. I won't be
> making any profit from the project.
>
> Thank you,
>
> -Michael Purtill

Jim Breen

Feb 15, 2019, 5:56:58 PM2/15/19
to aedict-users
don't have extensions, but you could always rename them, e.g. to JMdict_e.xml.
Of course that won't help you if your text programs don't understand XML.

A pox on software that needs a name extension to know what to do with a file.

Jim