Anyone have a solution for Script backups, and/or version control?

Roy Steves

Jan 7, 2018, 1:33:57 PM1/7/18
to AdWords Scripts Forum
My scripts library is large and complex enough that I'm starting to wish I had backups of the code, as I'm experimenting with new versions, and working with multiple programmers in the library at the same time.

I've been manually copying and pasting the js into text files that I store either locally or in my Gdrive, as well as starting new experiments with a copy of an existing script, rather than directly editing one that currently works.

But that all seems terribly clunky, and risky, and too reliant on humans.  So far, the least terrible solution I've managed is to keep the main body of the code on a remote server, and just use the Script to import and execute it.  But then I don't get all of the nice auto-complete stuff built into the Scripts editor, and I introduce another point of failure in that connection and server.

Anyone cook up a better way to manage your creations over time?

Thea Vega (AdWords Scripts Team)

Jan 7, 2018, 11:12:01 PM1/7/18
to AdWords Scripts Forum
Hi Roy,

Unfortunately, there is currently no feature for backup and version control on the AdWords Scripts Editor on the UI. However, like what you have said, you may also use our External Data Integration feature in AdWords Scripts. This feature accesses a script that is stored in your Google Drive, then accessing the said script on your current script in your AdWords account.

If you haven't, you may follow our blog for updates and new releases.

Thanks,
Thea
AdWords Scripts Team

Charles Bannister

Jan 8, 2018, 5:15:25 AM1/8/18
to AdWords Scripts Forum
Hi,

I haven't tried it myself (yet), but this looks like a good solution...if it works.

Unsure if the AW Scripts team have any thoughts on it!?

Roy Steves

Jan 8, 2018, 11:16:55 AM1/8/18
to AdWords Scripts Forum
Thanks for the quick reply Thea--I knew this was going to be more of a community question, since I'd pretty thoroughly explored the supported features before asking.  I hadn't considered using Drive in place of the server call, but that's kind of an interesting angle.

Roy Steves

Jan 8, 2018, 11:18:44 AM1/8/18
to AdWords Scripts Forum
Oh, good find, Charles!  I'll have to try it out, but it certainly has all of the ingredients we're looking for: github for versioning and backup, and syntax highlighting and auto-complete!

It looks like they built an editor, and then used the same code import trick I was using to close the loop.  I'm optimistic!