Is there an editor with 'intellisense' for Google Ads scripting?

Christopher Larkin

Jun 30, 2019, 8:10:11 PM6/30/19
to Google Ads Scripts Forum
Hi -

I'm super excited about scripting in Google Ads of late, especially thanks to all I've learned here in the forum. Thanks to a little creativity and a lot of great examples shared here, I've managed to greatly reduce time for managing some of our clients' basic work. As I'm sure all of you who manage online advertising accounts know very well, time not used up manually checking campaign progress, adjusting budgets, pausing campaigns at a specific hour, etc., is time you have to do the more important strategic planning and tuning of campaigns.

With that, I've been building libraries of scripts to handle tons of special needs, making reuse easy and convenient.

Here's my only challenge: I would like a better code editor. I use Espresso (macOS) for web editing, and the JavaScript features are decent too. However, I'd really like an editor with something akin to "intellisense" for Google Ads.

Is there such an animal? Is there an editor that automatically handles library extensions?

Thanks in advance for your time - I look forward to learning more and sharing my own work where it is useful to others' questions!
Christopher

Google Ads Scripts Forum Advisor Prod

Jul 1, 2019, 2:19:48 AM7/1/19
to adwords...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher,

Thank you for posting your concern.

Unfortunately, you can only use the Google Ads scripts' methods in the scripts editor of your Google Ads accounts as its library is only available in the script editor as well.

Let me know if you have further concern and I would be happy to provide support.

Regards,
Ejay
Google Ads Scripts Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5001UCaJap:ref

Christopher Larkin

Jul 1, 2019, 12:37:06 PM7/1/19
to Google Ads Scripts Forum
Thank you! I'm using Visual Studio Code and I discovered I can create a function that never runs with all the AdsApp-related objects, calling all the methods and you will get that in intellisense throughout the document.

I just need a way to enumerate the methods but I think I'll probably have to write them out by copying the documentation.

Is there a way to prototype or some other trick to get all the methods, parameters, etc of functions/objects?

Thanks again for the fast reply!
Christopher

Google Ads Scripts Forum Advisor Prod

Jul 1, 2019, 11:22:23 PM7/1/19
to adwords...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher,

Thanks for replying.

We have AdWords API and Google Ads API that you could use to build software for managing accounts from the customer level down to the keyword level. If you have questions regarding the said APIs such as signing up, setting up the environment and more, you can post your question to this forum to get additional support from the respective team.

Christopher Larkin

Jul 2, 2019, 2:57:06 PM7/2/19
to Google Ads Scripts Forum
Great - I think I'll build a template "pretend" function for this in Microsoft Visual Code, so I can share it with the community if anyone else has the need.

This allows editing outside of Google Ads, making it easy to keep all our code in one place, away from our various accounts.

Thanks again for the time helping!!

Nils Rooijmans

Jul 13, 2019, 6:52:08 AM7/13/19
to Google Ads Scripts Forum
interested in this as well, would highly appreciate you sharing this solution.