Run my Google Ads Script with a trigger on Google Sheet

LisaAA

May 18, 2021, 8:14:35 AM5/18/21
to Google Ads Scripts Forum
Hi everyone,

I would like to trigger my Google Ads Script externally from a Google Sheet.
The thought behind this is to update all budgets via one single spreadsheet. After I entered all new numbers I want to click a button in the Google sheet which triggers my Google Ads script to upload the data. (The script in Ads is already working)
Is something like that possible?

Thank you very much in advance!

Sigurd Fabrin

May 18, 2021, 10:26:09 AM5/18/21
to Google Ads Scripts Forum
You can only use time based triggers with Google Ads scripts.

A quick workaround could be to have the script run e.g. hourly and as its first thing, check if some cell in you spreadsheet says true or false - and then only continue running the script if it is true.
That would in effect give you the same result.

 sigurd

Google Ads Scripts Forum Advisor

May 18, 2021, 9:16:49 PM5/18/21
to adwords...@googlegroups.com

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

With regard to your concern on triggering your Google Ads Script externally from a Google Sheet, I'm afraid that this is not possible. You can only set the script's frequency (as mentioned here). I also suggest Sigurd's idea to schedule the script hourly and have a checking on the spreadsheet file that will trigger the script's runtime.

@Sigurd - Thank you for always sharing your insights to this Forum channel.

Regards,

Google Logo
Mark Kevin Albios
Google Ads Scripts Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2HBjKg:ref

Lisa Amberger

May 19, 2021, 11:46:21 AM5/19/21
to Google Ads Scripts Forum on behalf of adsscriptsforumadvisor
Thank you very much

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups AdWords Scripts Forum group. Please do not reply to this email. To post to this group or unsubscribe please visit https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/community.
---

--
Lisa Amberger
Junior Performance Marketing Managerin

Contorion GmbH | Friedrichstr. 224 | 10969 Berlin | contorion.de
lisa.a...@contorion.de

Amtsgericht Charlottenburg | HRB 157922 B
Managing Director / Geschäftsführer:
Dr. Frederick Roehder, Tobias Tschötsch

Michael Ramsey

May 20, 2021, 8:31:59 AM5/20/21
to Google Ads Scripts Forum
Agreed with Sigurd. This is also how I achieve this result too.

I am running a long-term pacing monitoring and budget adjustment sheet exactly like this. I set the Google Ads script to check it hourly. In my case I only allow it to modify budgets if they exceed a certain percentage difference from the current budgets (to prevent too frequent changes).

If I need to absolutely immediately change budgets based on sheet data I'll log into Google Ads and manually run the script but it's quite rare I need to push the adjustments sooner than an hour.

Finally, I have the Google Ads script send me an email summary of changes implemented.