Announcing v201509 of the AdWords API

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Oct 6, 2015, 1:50:19 PM10/6/15
to AdWords API Forum

Today we’re announcing the release of AdWords API v201509. Here are the highlights:

  • Improved batch processing. The new BatchJobService supports all of the same operations as MutateJobService, but offers additional features such as support for creating dependent objects using temporary IDs, better error reporting, improved performance, and a much higher limit on the number of operations per job. Check out the accompanying guide to get started.
  • AdWords for video and TrueView video campaigns in reports. The AdWords API now supports TrueView campaigns that have migrated from AdWords for video, and several reports now include statistics and new metrics for these campaigns. See the release notes for the complete list of changes and additions.
  • New reporting columns for multi-channel advertisers are available on multiple reports making it easier to track interactions vs. clicks.
  • Customer Match. Build and target user lists from email addresses using the new CrmBasedUserList.
  • Structured snippets can now be created using extension setting services.
  • Conversion column changes. Conversion columns have been modified, added, or removed on multiple reports to coincide with the upcoming conversion reporting changes in AdWords. See the release notes for the complete list of changes.
  • HTML5 ads can now be added as TemplateAds using template ID 419. In addition, MediaService now supports uploading media bundles for use with this new template.
  • Geo targeted ad customizers. Target each ad customizer feed item to a specific geographic location.
  • Gmail sponsored promotions. The AdWords API now fully supports the Gmail image, single promotion, and multi-product ad formats via template ads.
  • Dynamic remarketing ads have new placeholder fields for setting upgraded URL attributes such as tracking templates, custom parameters, and final URLs.
  • Active View reporting. New fields for Active View viewable impressions, measurable impressions, measurable cost, and measurability are now available in multiple reports.

If you’re using v201502 of the AdWords API, please note that it’s being sunset on November 12th, 2015. We encourage you to skip v201506 and migrate straight to v201509. If you’re using v201506, be aware it’s now marked deprecated and will be sunset on April 11th, 2016.

As with every new version of the AdWords API, we encourage you to carefully review all changes in the release notes and the v201509 migration guide. The updated client libraries and code examples will be published shortly. With this release, we’ve also updated the Required Minimum Functionality document to include some of the newly added features. If you have any questions or need help with migration, please post on the forum or the Ads Developers Plus Page.

Josh Radcliff, on behalf of the AdWords API Team

Bernardo Alves

Oct 20, 2015, 12:18:53 PM10/20/15
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Josh,

I already implemented the (long awaited) Video campaign metrics on my reports. This was a great improvement. I am now able to get a Campaign Performance Report that includes video campaigns and video metrics along with the other campaign types and metrics. Nevertheless, I spotted a small problem when I realized that making a GET request to the campaign service does not yet return the video campaigns. Since I have structured an application that relies on this metadata to build the filters for the report, I have no way to create a specific filter for these campaigns, not to mention other parts of my application that require campaign metadata for ALL campaigns.

So may question is, did I miss something or is there no way to retrieve the video campaigns when making a GET request to the Campaign Service? Are there any alternatives?

Meny thanks,
Bernardo

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Oct 20, 2015, 3:34:40 PM10/20/15
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Bernardo,

Video campaigns are only available in reports. You will not get any information for video campaigns from the SOAP services (CampaignService, AdGroupService, etc.).

You can include or exclude video campaigns by filtering on AdvertisingChannelType VIDEO in your requests.

Thanks,
Josh, AdWords API Team

P.S. If you have further questions, could you post a new topic so that our discussion is not mixed in with the original announcement? We find it's best to have separate topics for specific questions, as it makes it easier for people to find the topic that addresses their specific issue.