Can I access Google Ads API Without a Developer Token?

Mario

Apr 28, 2021, 5:04:39 AM4/28/21
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
I want to gain access to Google Ads API for one account (our company's account).
This access will only be used for internal purposes within the company, such as using scripts to create some reports and possibly make typical changes within Google Ads.
In this context, there will be no UI or need to check any account other than this one.

I was following this guide (check link below) which does not mention getting a developer token in any of the listed steps.
However, as I followed the steps, I got to a point where I need to configure a .yaml file to make calls to the API. The .yaml file seems to require a developer token.

Can I possibly be able to access the Google Ads API without having to create a Google Ads Manager account and without obtaining a developer token?

Any assistance is highly appreciated.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Apr 28, 2021, 11:54:28 AM4/28/21
to chal...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mario,

Thank you for the information. You will not be able to access the API if you don’t have a developer token. If you account is a test account then you could use the developer token with Test access level to make API calls against it. If it’s a production account then you would need to upgrade the developer token to Basic access level via this link.

Thanks and regards,
Xiaoming, Google Ads API Team

Google Logo
Xiaoming
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2GIDwG:ref

Xavi Montero

Dec 17, 2023, 8:16:59 PM12/17/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
I was in the very exact problem: To use the API only for my internal projects. I wanted to avoid to creat a "developer token".

But... then a new scenario came into place: I am sharing my source code with a friend, so I will access *my* account and she will access *her* account.

I will run my code in my laptop and then I ship her my code, that will run on her laptop.

Question: Is the developer token supposed to be "secret" or "public"?

I mean... Is it "public" so every "install" of the application uses the same token because it represents "the application"? I mean: should I have *one* developer token "for the project" and pass her my "developer token" as it represents "the application", and the I do my outh credentials and she does her oauth credentials?

Or the "developer token" is supposed to to be secret because it does not represent "the application" but "the installation of the application", so she has also to register as a developer, wait the 3-5 days, etc, etc. so she uses not only her own oauth credentials but also her own developer token?

(PD: For the google team of the API developers: I think using in-house probably is a very common use-case and using a set of "my own credentials" without making it so complex to auth to use this API probably would help many users).

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Dec 18, 2023, 2:40:06 AM12/18/23
to xmon...@dsitelecom.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for getting back to us.

After reviewing your query, I understand that you would like to know whether the developer token should be public or private. The Google Ads API developer token should be considered secret and treated with the same level of protection as any other API key or credential. It's not meant to be public or shared openly.

I would suggest you refer to the help center article Best practices for securely using API keys to get more information. Also, kindly refer to the document Obtain a developer token for more details.

This message is in relation to case "ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02GIDwG:ref"

Thanks,

Google Logo Google Ads API Team

Rafael Felipe

Dec 18, 2023, 1:36:01 PM12/18/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Same here, I need the API just for me, for simple things, but it's been over a month with no response in my request for a basic access developer token. Why is that so difficult? Whats the time for get a response? The form says 3 days and here I am, over a month later

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Dec 18, 2023, 3:14:35 PM12/18/23
to rafaelc...@gmail.com, ads-api-compl...@google.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for getting back to us.

After reviewing your concern, I understand that you have submitted a request for the basic access of Google Ads API developer token and waiting for a response from the team.

Since the access requests are handled by the Google Ads API Compliance team, we are transferring the case to the Ads API Compliance team. Can you kindly provide the following information for the compliance team to further assist you with your concern:
  • Case ID generated from the compliance team in the format 0-0###########0 (if there is any generated)
@Compliance team, please confirm if you are able to assist in the below access request.

The user has applied for the basic access with the below details.
  • Google Ads Manager Account (MCC) ID: requested
  • Case ID: requested
Do reach out to the Google Ads API support team for any queries related to the API.

You can send the details via Reply privately to the author option, or direct private reply to this email.

Rafael Felipe

Dec 19, 2023, 9:59:39 AM12/19/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Is there any way that we can communicate with the responsible team? The messages here are not effective and they don't answer any email we send.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Dec 19, 2023, 10:06:25 AM12/19/23
to rafaelc...@gmail.com, ads-api-compl...@google.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Note that, we have already included the Compliance team in this email thread. Can you kindly provide the following information for the compliance team to further assist you with your concern:
    • Case ID generated from the compliance team in the format 0-0###########0 (if there is any generated)
    • Google Ads Manager Account (MCC) ID
    @Compliance team, please confirm if you are able to assist in the below access request.

    The user has applied for the Basic access with the below details.
    • Google Ads Manager Account (MCC) ID: requested
    • Case ID: requested
    Do reach out to the Google Ads API support team for any queries related to the API.

    Rafael Felipe

    Dec 19, 2023, 12:50:29 PM12/19/23
    to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
    they never answer

    Google Ads API Forum Advisor

    Dec 19, 2023, 4:09:25 PM12/19/23
    to rafaelc...@gmail.com, ads-api-compl...@google.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
    Hi,

    Thank you for getting back to us.

    Kindly note that the Compliance team will respond only after providing the requested details i.e, MCC ID and case ID.

    As requested earlier, can you kindly provide the following information for the compliance team to further assist you with your concern: