Clarification regarding duplicate conversions upload to conversion action

Vinay Surya

Jul 5, 2024, 10:15:20 AM (yesterday) Jul 5
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hi,
If I upload a conversion with the same conversion_value, conversion_date_time and gclid, what happens?

In some of the discussions in this Forum, I found two possible cases:
• That the api will throw an error saying `CONVERSION_ALREADY_EXISTS`
• The api will allow the second upload but only considers the first.

We are not getting an error, but we need to be sure that only the first conversion is considered.

can you please explain the discrepancy? is it an issue of api version difference (one version will throw an error and another will simply consider the first one? )

FYI, we are using `MANY_PER_CLICK` conversion action type

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jul 5, 2024, 3:47:34 PM (19 hours ago) Jul 5
to adwor...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

We are aware of the CONVERSION_ALREADY_EXISTS error, and we have modified the flow so that conversion de-duplication isn't done exactly at upload time, but done later down the line during processing. You'll no longer get duplicate errors when uploading, but the duplicate conversions will still not be double-counted.

As a best practice however, you should only upload each conversion once.

This message is in relation to case "ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02tJeRN:ref" (ADR-00245301)

Thanks,

Google Logo Google Ads API Team

Register for the upcoming workshop: Performance Max and the Google Ads API!