TargetingIdeaService api returning different results than Google Ads "Add Keyword" component

Rene Vallecillo

Mar 5, 2020, 1:57:45 PM3/5/20

From the current UI I get:

php developer work from home jobs
php programmer wanted
php developer job posting

Any idea why this happen?

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Mar 5, 2020, 4:13:53 PM3/5/20
to ren...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rene,

The Keyword Planner doesn't map to the TargetingIdeaService because what is getting called on the back-end are not the same. The data is put together differently. You will need to use one of the idea services from Google Ads API.

Regards,
Anthony
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5001UXUFMR:ref

Rene Vallecillo

Mar 5, 2020, 6:43:44 PM3/5/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Thanks a lot Anthony. That helps a lot! But just to confirm, when you are inside of the google ads interface, you enter an adgroup then keywords, and then you hit "+" plus button, the component you interact with work with the ideas service, not the Targeting Idea Service. Is that right?

Thank you so much in advance.

Jacob Peebles

Mar 6, 2020, 10:30:19 AM3/6/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Anthony,

I am working with Rene on this :). I"m curious you mention using the idea service, but you are referencing the Google Ads API - which as we understand is still in beta. What is the equivalent endpoint in the Google Adwords API? Could you point us to that?

Thanks,

Jake

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Mar 6, 2020, 11:51:31 AM3/6/20
to ja...@getitllc.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jake,

Yes, that is correct that the idea services I mentioned are for Google Ads API. The TargetingIdeaService from AdWords API maps to the Keyword Planner from the old Google Ads (AdWords) UI.

Jacob Peebles

Mar 6, 2020, 1:46:57 PM3/6/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Anthony,

Maybe this is a better way to get the answer we need/are looking for.

How do we get the same results we see on this screen using the Google Adwords API.

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 1.45.13 PM.png

Can you provide the parameters we need to pass and the endpoint we need to use to get those same results?

Thank you,

Jake

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Mar 6, 2020, 5:04:23 PM3/6/20
to ja...@getitllc.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jake,

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to get the same results from the TargetingIdeaService in AdWords API to match the Google Ads UI.
Message has been deleted

Jacob Peebles

Mar 7, 2020, 9:24:38 AM3/7/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Thanks Anthony,

So the question remains how do we get the exact same result we see in the Google Ads UI.

Some questions:

- Is this possible with the API (to get the same keywords we see in our screenshot)?

- If so what version of the API?

- What parameters and what endpoint would we need to use to accomplish this?

Thank you for the help, and sorry for repeated questions on this. It's important that we utilize the same keywords we see in the interface for our application/usage.

- Jake

Jacob Peebles

Mar 9, 2020, 10:03:32 AM3/9/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi again Anthony and Google Ads Team,

Bumping this again in hopes of getting a resolution we can work forward on.

Thanks for the help.

- Jake

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Mar 9, 2020, 2:26:17 PM3/9/20
to ja...@getitllc.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jake,

To match the UI's Keyword Planner, you will need to use the idea services via Google Ads API. For keyword ideas, the service will be the KeywordPlanIdeaService.GenerateKeywordIdeas. This guide on this service will show how to use the service and what each functionality maps to the Google Ads UI.

Rene Vallecillo

Mar 17, 2020, 6:34:06 PM3/17/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum

Jacob Peebles

Mar 18, 2020, 7:30:55 AM3/18/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Anthony and Team,

Checking back here to see if you guys might have a solution to this blocker.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

- Jake

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Mar 18, 2020, 1:04:20 PM3/18/20
to ja...@getitllc.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

You can try the following:
https://googleads.googleapis.com/v3/customers/YOUR_CID_HERE:generateKeywordIdea

Another alternative would be to download our client libraries and running the example there.

Jacob Peebles

Mar 18, 2020, 4:55:28 PM3/18/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum

Thanks, Anthony,

As usual, we appreciate the response.

Thanks for the reference url however we arrived at that through the protofiles.

Could you share a sample json payload?   A few times in the past you included that in your response and that has unblocked us. To add more context we are using our own custom go library hence the ask.

Thanks,

Jake

Jacob Peebles

Mar 18, 2020, 7:28:22 PM3/18/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Anthony and Team,

Since our last post we've overcome the need for the payload, we were able to backward engineer it. So please ignore that request.

...But here is our issue...

We cannot produce the results you see in the original post (which you can see here in the screenshot) regardless of the API type (AdWords or Ads beta). Both of those endpoints give us the same results both of which are NOT what we see in the interface.

Can someone give us direction on how to create this exact result, whatever API version, whatever parameters, whatever endpoint? At this point, we've tried any number of variations on both API's and none of them produce what is in the interface.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Jake

image-3.png

image-4.png

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Mar 19, 2020, 12:50:41 PM3/19/20
to ja...@getitllc.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jake,

Can you please provide me through reply privately to author a screenshot of your entire interface, which should include your CID? From the looks of it, it looks like you are using the old Google Ads interface.

Thanks,

Jacob Peebles

Mar 20, 2020, 12:14:22 PM3/20/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Anthony,

Thanks I sent the private message yesterday. I'm assuming you received but please confirm if you don't mind. This issue has been lingering now going on two weeks, we are anxious to unblock ourselves here and move forward.

Thanks,

Jake

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Mar 20, 2020, 3:33:13 PM3/20/20
to ja...@getitllc.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jake,

Unfortunately, I didn't receive the message. Can you please try to send it again?