Error related with "channel type MULTIPLE" operations

sealytic...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2023, 3:53:51 AM1/27/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hello,

Somehow, our sharedsets have been attached campaigns with channel type MULTIPLE. Now we want to remove these campaigns from SharedSet but both API and UI is giving error. I understood that channel type MULTIPLE is not allowed with sharedsets but if this is the case how can we able to add them.?

Ads Api Error:

{ "StatusCode": 3, "Details": "Request contains an invalid argument.", "RequestId": "eRNDtNi3cNh5RiNBJPzz4g", "Failure": { "errors": [ { "errorCode": { "contextError": "OPERATION_NOT_PERMITTED_FOR_CONTEXT" }, "message": "The operation is not allowed for the given context.", "trigger": { "stringValue": "NEGATIVE_KEYWORD shared set type cannot be applied to channel type MULTIPLE" }, "location": { "fieldPathElements": [ { "fieldName": "operations", "index": 0 } ] } }, { "errorCode": { "contextError": "OPERATION_NOT_PERMITTED_FOR_CONTEXT" }, "message": "The operation is not allowed for the given context.", "trigger": { "stringValue": "NEGATIVE_KEYWORD shared set type cannot be applied to channel type MULTIPLE" }, "location": { "fieldPathElements": [ { "fieldName": "operations", "index": 1 } ] } } ], "requestId": "eRNDtNi3cNh5RiNBJPzz4g" }

Ads UI error:

There was a problem making the changes you requested. Please try again later.

Thanks in advance

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jan 27, 2023, 11:06:13 AM1/27/23
to sealytic...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Ads API Team. I hope you are doing well today.

With regard to your concern, It seems you have encountered an OPERATION_NOT_PERMITTED_FOR_CONTEXT. That error said, The operation is not allowed for the given context. However, to further investigate this issue and provide an accurate recommendation, could you provide the complete request and response logs with request ID and request header generated on your end?  If you haven't yet, logging can be enabled by navigating to the Client libraries > Your client library (ex. Java) > Logging documentation, which you can access from this link.

You can provide it via Reply privately to the author option. If this option is not available, then send it instead on this email address googleadsa...@google.com.

Regards,

Google Logo
Darwin
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2iOP6Z:ref

sealytic...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 4:47:54 AM1/30/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hello,

I replied privately request and response logs.

Thanks

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jan 31, 2023, 12:39:37 AM1/31/23
to sealytic...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Upon checking on the campaignSharedSets resource names you want to remove, I can see that it has the "advertisingChannelType": "MULTI_CHANNEL" with sharedSet type": "NEGATIVE_KEYWORDS". That being said, kindly note that NEGATIVE_KEYWORD shared set type cannot be applied to channel type MULTIPLE. You may also try the below sample query I tried on my end to check this:

SELECT campaign.advertising_channel_sub_type, campaign.advertising_channel_type, campaign.bidding_strategy_type, shared_set.type, campaign.campaign_budget FROM campaign_shared_set WHERE campaign_shared_set.resource_name IN ('customers/7633370648/campaignSharedSets/9407999930~7354130802', 'customers/7633370648/campaignSharedSets/9414378601~7354130802', 'customers/7633370648/campaignSharedSets/16334731431~7354130802', 'customers/7633370648/campaignSharedSets/16347151349~7354130802')

You may also check this documentation and this documentation for more information on the App Campaign. One of these documents also stated that you cannot exclude criteria, so ensure that negative is false.

Best regards,
Google Logo
Heidi
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2iOP6Z:ref

sealytic...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2023, 2:17:28 AM1/31/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hello thanks for the reply.

If  NEGATIVE_KEYWORD shared set type cannot be applied to channel type MULTIPLE, how it was set first? I cannot understand the case. Shared set type never changed.
So to remove this campaigns, should I change its type first?

If we don't want to remove shared sets, how will we remove this campaigns without changing its type?

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jan 31, 2023, 11:02:25 AM1/31/23
to sealytic...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I work with Heidi. Thanks for getting back to us.

For your question “If  NEGATIVE_KEYWORD shared set type cannot be applied to channel type MULTIPLE, how it was set first?”, I’ve tried to add NEGATIVE_KEYWORD shared set type to my app campaign and it successfully added without any API error. Also, I tried to remove those added NEGATIVE_KEYWORD shared set type using REMOVE operation, and it succeeded as well. You may see below CURL:

curl -f --request POST "https://googleads.googleapis.com/v${API_VERSION}/customers/${CUSTOMER_ID}/campaignSharedSets:mutate" \

--header "Content-Type: application/json" \

--header "developer-token: ${DEVELOPER_TOKEN}" \

--header "login-customer-id: ${MANAGER_CUSTOMER_ID}" \

--header "Authorization: Bearer ${OAUTH2_ACCESS_TOKEN}" \

--data "{ "customerId": "7633370648", "operations":  [ { "remove": "customers/7633370648/campaignSharedSets/9407999930~7354130802" }, { "remove": "customers/7633370648/campaignSharedSets/9414378601~7354130802" }, { "remove": "customers/7633370648/campaignSharedSets/16334731431~7354130802" }, { "remove": "customers/7633370648/campaignSharedSets/16347151349~7354130802" } ] ,

'validateOnly':false,

"partialFailure": true

}

"

For REST interface requests, you can enable logging via the curl command by using the -i flag. This will cause the tool to include the HTTP response headers in the output.

You may try the above cURL, and see if it works on your end. If the error still persists, then you may provide us the most recent complete logs so that we can continue to investigate further.

Regards,

Google Logo
Yasar
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2iOP6Z:ref

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jan 31, 2023, 11:08:25 AM1/31/23
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, sealytic...@gmail.com

Hi,

In addition to above, could you provide the full logs for the API request where you have added NEGATIVE_KEYWORD shared set type to your app campaign so that I can discuss this with my rest of team.

Kindly provide the complete logs via reply privately to author option.

Regards,

sealytic...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2023, 7:36:23 AM2/1/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hi again,

I tried with curl request and get the same error.
I have sent the curl logs with private message.

Thanks

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Feb 1, 2023, 1:56:47 PM2/1/23
to sealytic...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Thank you for trying out the provided suggestions. Allow me to raise this issue to my rest of the team. We will reach out to you once we have any updates.

Regards,

sealytic...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2023, 4:06:38 AM2/3/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hello,

Is there any update on this topic?

Thanks

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Feb 3, 2023, 1:12:54 PM2/3/23
to sealytic...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello -

Thanks for following up. The team is still investigating this issue, so unfortunately I don't have an update right now. I'll respond to this thread as soon as there's information to share.

Best,
Google Logo
Ben Karl
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2iOP6Z:ref

sealytic...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2023, 2:50:46 AM2/10/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hello sorry to write again but it is already one week and I am asked about the case regularly.

Can you share an update please?

Thanks

sealytic...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2023, 8:05:59 AM2/15/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hi,

Is there any update here?

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Feb 15, 2023, 10:34:13 AM2/15/23
to sealytic...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello -

Thank you for following up. Unfortunately I don't have any updates at the moment. I'm coordinating with the engineering team that focuses on this feature on the investigation and I just prompted them for an update. I'll follow up here as soon as I have more information.

sealytic...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2023, 12:14:31 AM2/23/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
We still have the problem.

Could you give any update on this topic please? It is nearly one month now.

Thanks

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Feb 27, 2023, 4:01:39 PM2/27/23
to sealytic...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello -

Unfortunately we're still working on this. I was able to confirm that this error is expected as it's not possible for this account to link a negative keyword shared set to an app campaign, however it's still unclear how these two were originally linked. I'm going to continue investigating this question with the team and will get back to you with more information as soon as possible.

sealytic...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2023, 8:51:24 AM4/10/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hello,

It is nearly 3 months.

Could you share the latest status of this issue please?

Thanks

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Apr 10, 2023, 9:36:54 AM4/10/23
to sealytic...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello -

Thank you for following up, and apologies for the delay. I've been coordinating internally to get information on how this shared set was linked, but the team is still trying to identify the root cause. I requested an expedited resolution and hope to share more details with you as soon as possible.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Apr 17, 2023, 9:29:59 AM4/17/23
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, sealytic...@gmail.com
Hello -

I was able to determine how these shared sets were attached to your campaign. Two of them were linked in 2021, before we had this type of validation in the API:

Shared Set #7354130802 -> Campaign #9414378602
Shared Set #7354130802 -> Campaign #9407999930

The other two were linked via the Bulk Uploads feature in the UI, which isn't subject to the above validation:

Shared Set #7354130802 -> Campaign #16347151349
Shared Set #7354130802 -> Campaign #16334731431

Mehmet Sealytics

Apr 18, 2023, 3:44:16 AM4/18/23
to Google Ads API Forum Advisor, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply.

So How can I remove them? It is not possible with API or UI.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Apr 18, 2023, 9:52:43 AM4/18/23
to sealytic...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello -

I'm working on figuring that out now. Since we know the Bulk Upload service doesn't validate these links it's possible you can use that, but I'm going to see if there's another way.