Upload personal identifiers using SHA-256 with salt

Štěpán Heller

Feb 3, 2023, 4:06:53 PM2/3/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hi team,

I am working on a solution to upload offline conversions using the Enhanced Conversions For Leads feature. My client has concerns regarding uploading personal identifiers such as email address and phone number using just SHA-256 method without salt. According to his legal team, using just SHA-256 could potentially be a GDPR violation. Is it possible to use SHA-256 with salt? Would that break the measurement of these offline conversions or their attribution to Google Ads campaigns?

Thanks for any help!

Stepan

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Feb 6, 2023, 2:15:41 AM2/6/23
to hel...@digital-ant.cz, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stepan,

Thank you for raising this concern to the Google Ads API support team.

To answer your questions "Is it possible to use SHA-256 with salt? Would that break the measurement of these offline conversions or their attribution to Google Ads campaigns?", our team does not have samples of hashed data that we can share. However, you can check out this section of our customer match guide on how hashing can be implemented.

Best regards,
Google Logo
Jinky
Google Ads API Team