Extract data from Google Ads with Python

Nathane Berrebi

Jun 29, 2022, 7:33:08 PMJun 29
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hello !
I hope you ara going well .

I joined a little society called A. This society mades some publicity campaigns using Google Ads two years ago and stopped to use it the last year. From September they will sell products in an e-commerce site.

I joined this company and the goal is to use the data to improve future sales.
The company gave me access to its Google Ads account, on my email address, and gave me the admin rights.

My goal is to extract data from Google Ads via python and then study it.

For that I tried to follow the following tutorial : https://developers.google.com/google-ads/api/docs/first-call/overview?hl=en#prerequisites
However it says "You can retrieve your developer token by signing in to your manager account then navigating to the API Center (TOOLS & SETTINGS > SETUP > API Center)", but when I connect to my Google Ads account I can't find the "API Center" option.

So I tried to create a manager account (using my email address from the Google Ads account where there was no "API Center" option) and indeed I found the "API Center" option. But there are no previous campaigns from the two previous years, the account is empty.

I don't know if it was the right thing to do to create this manager account. This manager account is in "test account" mode.
I have access to a developer token, but I would like to link this manager account (if this is the right way to do it) to my customer account. How can I do this ?

And my second question please: I want to get the maximum of information about my advertising campaigns, but I don't really understand the difference of data collected between Google Ads and Google Analytics. Can you explain me?

Thank you for your help!

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jun 30, 2022, 3:10:56 AMJun 30
to berrebi...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nathane,

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Ads API Support team. I hope you are doing well today.

Please see my answer to your question below.

1.) For that I tried to follow the following tutorial : https://developers.google.com/google-ads/api/docs/first-call/overview?hl=en#prerequisites

However it says "You can retrieve your developer token by signing in to your manager account then navigating to the API Center (TOOLS & SETTINGS > SETUP > API Center)", but when I connect to my Google Ads account I can't find the "API Center" option.

  • Regarding these concerns, you can't really see the API Center because you're using a test account this is the reason why you can't see the "API Center view in Tools & Settings."

2.) So I tried to create a manager account (using my email address from the Google Ads account where there was no "API Center" option) and indeed I found the "API Center" option. But there are no previous campaigns from the two previous years, the account is empty.

  • For this concern, I would recommend reaching out to the Product Team via this link as they should be more equipped to provide guidance on this matter.

3.) I don't know if it was the right thing to do to create this manager account. This manager account is in "test account" mode. I have access to a developer token, but I would like to link this manager account (if this is the right way to do it) to my customer account. How can I do this ?

  • With regards to this, allow me to reiterate these questions " I would like to link this manager account (if this is the right way to do it) to my customer account. How can I do this ?" I'm afraid that this scenario "link this manager account to your customer" is not possible.

4.)And my second question please: I want to get the maximum of information about my advertising campaigns, but I don't really understand the difference of data collected between Google Ads and Google Analytics. Can you explain me?

  • For this issue, I would recommend reaching out to the Product Team via this link as they should be more equipped to provide guidance on this matter.

Regards,

Google Logo
Darwin
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2cEjVz:ref

Nathane Berrebi

Jun 30, 2022, 8:20:28 AMJun 30
to ads...@forumsupport.google, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your very fast and amazing help !

It doesn't look very clear to me, so to be very basic : How can I extract my data from my client account please uing Python ? If you think about the tutoriel I sent you (this one :  https://developers.google.com/google-ads/api/docs/first-call/overview?hl=en#prerequisites), I don't have any manager account, so what do I need to do ?

Thank you very much !

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jun 30, 2022, 9:19:44 AMJun 30
to berrebi...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathane,

Thank you for the reply.

Moving forward, since you are asking how you can extract your data from your client account using Python, then you may refer to this code example in python. Moving forward to this, “I don't have any manager account, so what do I need to do ?”, upon checking your previous email, you said this, “The company gave me access to its Google Ads account, on my email address, and gave me the admin rights.”. With this, I would suggest you to go to your account and navigate to the TOOLS & SETTINGS > SETUP > Access Security > Managers, and you will see the manager account of your account.

Best regards,
Google Logo
Heidi
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2cEjVz:ref

Nathane Berrebi

Jun 30, 2022, 9:30:58 AMJun 30
to Google Ads API Forum Advisor, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply ! But I don't have any account in the manager space : I share you my screen :
image.png

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jul 4, 2022, 5:32:57 AMJul 4
to berrebi...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nathane,

Thank you for reaching out to our API support team. Please note that our team can only provide support through email so I am afraid that we're not able to join you on the call.

It appears that you did not receive a reply from a colleague regarding the concern. Let me reiterate the response of my colleague, and you can see it below:

Moving forward, you may consider using customer ID in your request. You would need to mention that ID in both the customer-id and login-customer-id places in your API request. If you encounter an API error, you may provide us complete request and response logs with the request-id generated.

To solve the issue, you don’t need to use your manager account. What we can do is, you can use your customer ID for both the customer-id and login-customer-id.

In addition, if you haven't enabled the logging of the API transactions for the specific client library that you are using, then please refer to the specific guide Python. You can provide it via Reply privately to author option. If this option is not available, you may send the details directly to our googleadsa...@google.com alias instead.

Best,

Google Logo
Anthony Cyril
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2cEjVz:ref

Nathane Berrebi

Jul 5, 2022, 7:18:49 AMJul 5
to Google Ads API Forum Advisor, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello sorry for disturbing, but I really need to know what should I do if there is no manager account?

May is it possible to have a 5minutes call with someone please ?

Thanks you and have a great day!
Nathane

Jade Nguyen

Jul 28, 2022, 7:24:50 PMJul 28
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Just my thought, if the data is old, can you manually download from the Google Ads console in csv file and load to your database? You mentioned that 'This society mades some publicity campaigns using Google Ads two years ago and stopped to use it the last year. '

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jul 28, 2022, 10:22:27 PMJul 28
to ngoc.ng...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jade,

Thank you for your response. I hope you are doing well today.

Moving forward, upon checking your concern. I've noticed that your concern is about Google Ads console. With this, I would suggest that you reach out to the Product Team via this link , as they should be more equipped to provide guidance on this matter.