Error creating responsive search ad due to disallowed character (period)

Amy Richardson

Aug 9, 2022, 11:58:19 AM8/9/22
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hello,

We have seen failures to create responsive search ads via the Google Ads API due to using a period in a way which is considered disallowed.

I understand there are advertising policies related to this, linked here ("Punctuation or symbols that are not used correctly or for their intended purpose"). In our case, we are attempting to create a responsive search ad for a Volkswagen ID.4 vehicle, which is a new model, and the API is not allowing us to create the ad.

Here is the error we are receiving from the API:
Error: The input string value contains disallowed characters. Trigger: .

This error seems to be due to the model name "ID.4", which we feel should be allowed to be used in advertising. We are able to create the same ad manually within the UI successfully. Please let me know whether this issue can be resolved.

Thanks for your assistance,
Amy

Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum

Aug 11, 2022, 9:41:35 AM8/11/22
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hi Amy,

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Ads API Forum.

As you mentioned that the API is not allowing you to create the ad since the advertising policies, and you were able to create the same ad manually within the UI successfully, then you may provide the screenshot of complete Ads UI where the Ad created successfully on Ads UI, and the same you tried to create using API is getting error, along with complete logs (complete request and response logs with request ID and request header) generated, so that we can check better.

Please reply to our team to send the details directly to our googleadsa...@google.com alias instead.

Regards,
Yasar
Google Ads API Team