No last two months (April/May) search volume for TARGETED_MONTHLY_SEARCHES with TargetingIdeaSelector and data is wrong

Skip to first unread message

keyword volume

Jul 1, 2010, 7:45:14 PM7/1/10
to AdWords API Forum


I'm having a trouble to getting monthly local search volume with the
targeting idea service.
It is not only missing last two months (Apr/May) search volumes, but
also the data is completely wrong.
I was comparing the local search volume between the data from Adwords
api and from Adwords external keyword tool (
select/KeywordTool) and I noticed that the data is completely
So, I registered another new account for Adwords API and it gives all
the data.
There is no missing month and the monthly search volume data is
different from I got from old account.

Can you explain about this issue?

$user = new AdWordsUser();
$targetingIdeaService = $user->GetTargetingIdeaService('v200909');

$keywords = array();
$keyword = new Keyword();
$keyword->text = "chess moves";
$keyword->matchType = 'EXACT';
$keywords[] = $keyword;

// Create selector.
$selector = new TargetingIdeaSelector();
$selector->requestType = 'STATS';
$selector->ideaType = 'KEYWORD';
$selector->localeCode = 'en_US';
$selector->requestedAttributeTypes = array('KEYWORD',

// Set selector paging (required for targeting idea service).
$paging = new Paging();
$paging->startIndex = 0;
$paging->numberResults = 1;
$selector->paging = $paging;

// Create related to keyword search parameter.
$relatedToKeywordSearchParameter = new
$relatedToKeywordSearchParameter->keywords = $keywords;
$selector->searchParameters = array($relatedToKeywordSearchParameter);

// Get related keywords.
$page = $targetingIdeaService->get($selector);


Jul 6, 2010, 11:23:10 AM7/6/10
to AdWords API Forum

I am getting the same problem, I get 0s for the last 3 months.
I understand that the data for last month is not available during the
first 7 days, but why are the other 2 0s as well?
volume jumps in some cases from 74000 (for January - March) to 0 (in
April - June)

the matchtype is set to BROAD, searching for all languages in
different countries


Jul 6, 2010, 11:47:24 AM7/6/10
to AdWords API Forum
I just ran a test

google adwords api return 0 for the last 12 months for FR, US, GB, IT,
DE (and more countries)

"jonh travolta"

google adwords keyword tool returns for US

550,000 for the last month (and the index does not show a 0 value for
any month)

When is this issue going to be resolved? how long has this been
happening for?


Jul 7, 2010, 9:46:17 PM7/7/10
to AdWords API Forum

I have exactly the same problem. If I run the same test to get
Targeted Monthly Searches for UK (GB) for the same keyword (john
travolta) I get the below response with no counts.

I've created my own thread re. this issue and as with your post nobody
from the adwords team has yet responded. Eric, can you please look
into this problem as it appears to be effecting a lot of users;
certainly me and calford anyway and I also notice a lot of similar
posts on this forum.

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: text/xml; charset=UTF-8
SOAPAction: ""
Content-Encoding: gzip
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 01:38:58 GMT
Expires: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 01:38:58 GMT
Cache-Control: private, max-age=0
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN
X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
Server: GSE

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="">
<ResponseHeader xmlns:ns2="
cm/v200909" xmlns="">
<getResponse xmlns="
v200909" xmlns:ns2="
<value xmlns:xsi="
instance" xsi:type="MonthlySearchVolumeAttribute">
<value xmlns:xsi="
instance" xsi:type="KeywordAttribute">
<ns2:text>john travolta</ns2:text>

Here's the request for the above response:

[Jul 08 2010 02:38:57.000000 - INFO] POST /api/adwords/o/v200909/
TargetingIdeaService HTTP/1.1
Connection: Keep-Alive
User-Agent: PHP-SOAP/5.3.1, gzip
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Content-Encoding: gzip
Content-Type: text/xml; charset=utf-8
SOAPAction: ""
Content-Length: 890

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV="
envelope/" xmlns:ns1="
v200909" xmlns:ns2=""
<ns2:RequestHeader xsi:type="ns1:RequestHeader">
<ns2:searchParameters xmlns:ns2="
api/adwords/o/v200909" xsi:type="ns2:RelatedToKeywordSearchParameter">
<ns1:text>John Travolta</ns1:text>
<ns2:searchParameters xmlns:ns2="
api/adwords/o/v200909" xsi:type="ns2:CountryTargetSearchParameter">
<ns2:searchParameters xmlns:ns2="
api/adwords/o/v200909" xsi:type="ns2:LanguageTargetSearchParameter">

AdWords API Advisor

Jul 12, 2010, 7:15:10 PM7/12/10
to AdWords API Forum

Please see this related thread for more information:

- Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team
>       <ns1:clientEmail></ns1:clientEmail>
Reply all
Reply to author
0 new messages