Traffic Estimator returning bizarre responses...

Russell Jones

Feb 28, 2020, 2:45:54 PM2/28/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
I am using Traffic Estimator to determine the maximum amount of traffic I might be able to get for some pop-culture terms. However, the results returned are incredibly low, especially for celebrity names...

colin jost: {
min: 263.29446,
max: 321.80436,
},
-michael che: {
min: 6.944577,
max: 8.4878166,
},
-pete davidson: {
min: 35.201769,
max: 43.024386,
}
}

Versus the show they are on, which is still very low compared to Keyword Planner.

{
-saturday night live: {
min: 8802.8715,
max: 10759.0659,
}
}

Any ideas why these numbers would return back so low? I'm sending in ridiculously high bids (several hundred dollars) just so I can get an idea of the traffic...

Russell Jones

Mar 2, 2020, 2:00:00 PM3/2/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
For comparison sake:

If I set my bid at $500 a click on the keyword Colin Jost in the US, it says I'll get 321 impressions a month.
If I look in Keyword Planner for Colin Jost, it says there are 201,000 impressions per month.

That is insanely different. Which one should I trust?

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Mar 3, 2020, 12:17:34 PM3/3/20
to rjo...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Russell,

The TrafficEstimatorService from the AdWords API and Google Ads UI don't match because what is getting called on the back-end are not the same. The data is put together differently. You will need to use one of the idea services from Google Ads API.

Regards,
Anthony
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5001UXTe9S:ref