How to set TargetCPA bidding on a Display campaign?

Aaron Brace

May 18, 2022, 4:50:35 AM5/18/22
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
I have attempted to set targetCPM bidding on a new campaign as below:

campaign_operation = client.get_type("CampaignOperation")
            campaign = campaign_operation.create
            campaign.name = 'bidding cpa12'
            campaign.advertising_channel_type = (
                client.enums.AdvertisingChannelTypeEnum.DISPLAY
            )

            campaign.status = client.enums.CampaignStatusEnum.PAUSED

            empty_cpm = client.get_type('TargetCpm')
            client.copy_from(campaign.target_cpm, empty_cpm)

However I am returned:

{
  error_code {
    operation_access_denied_error: OPERATION_NOT_PERMITTED_FOR_CAMPAIGN_TYPE
  }
  message: "This operation is not permitted on this campaign type"
  trigger {
    string_value: "DISPLAY"
  }

Could someone please tell me the correct way to set TargetCPM on a Display campaign?

Many thanks

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

May 19, 2022, 2:28:10 AM5/19/22
to aaron....@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aaron,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

You may refer to this Bidding Strategy Types guide to check if the bidding strategy type you are using target CPA setting is available to the campaign type.

Also you may note that Target cost-per-thousand impressions is available for video campaigns in Google Ads, you may check this article for more information.

Moving forward to your question which is, "Could someone please tell me the correct way to set TargetCPM on a Display campaign?", I’m afraid that there's no sample implementation in setting bidding strategy target_cpm to display campaign, as this is available only for video campaigns.

Best regards,
Google Logo
Heidi
Google Ads API Team