Filtering out automatically created headlines/descriptions

Stepanian

Dec 5, 2022, 3:16:49 PM12/5/22
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
In the ad_group_ad_asset_view report, when getting current headlines/descriptions, how do we filter out headlines/descriptions that are automatically created. We tried using the asset.source for filtering by setting it to 'ADVERTISER', but the query still returns all headlines/descriptions including the automatically created ones.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Dec 6, 2022, 10:30:02 AM12/6/22
to ra...@spinneret.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com

Hi Stepanian,

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Ads API team. I hope you are doing well today.

With regards to your concern, can I ask what kind of ad type you're looking for? Also, if you have a full screenshot of the Google Ads UI for the ad type, you are looking for, it will help our team further investigate and provide a specific recommendation to your issue.

Regards,

Google Logo
Darwin
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2gisw6:ref

Stepanian

Dec 6, 2022, 7:39:35 PM12/6/22
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
We are using responsive search ads. Some of the headlines/descriptions are automatically-generated. We are trying to identify which ones are automatically-generated and which ones are not when we read ad assets in the ad_group_ad_asset_view report. There is an asset.source field, which is an enumeration that has values of "AUTOMATICALLY_GENERATED" and "ADVERTISER", but it appears to be returning "ADVERTISER" for all assets, including the automatically-generated ones. This is likely a bug in the API.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Dec 7, 2022, 1:26:23 AM12/7/22
to ra...@spinneret.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Yes, your understanding is correct. Note that AssetSource = AUTOMATICALLY_CREATED field should help you to identify the source of the asset. Since you mentioned that on your end appears to be returning "ADVERTISER" for all assets, including the automatically-generated ones. For our team to check further if it is indeed a bug, then could you provide the following information?

  • Complete logs (request and response with request-id) generated for the API request where  "ADVERTISER" returning for all assets
  • Complete Ads UI without cropping for showing the headlines/descriptions are automatically-generated

Kindly send the above requested details via reply privately to author option.

Regards,

Google Logo
Yasar
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2gisw6:ref

Stepanian

Dec 8, 2022, 6:15:48 PM12/8/22
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
I just ran the following query:

select ad_group_ad_asset_view.field_type, asset.text_asset.text, metrics.impressions, asset.source from ad_group_ad_asset_view where ad_group_ad_asset_view.field_type in ('HEADLINE', 'DESCRIPTION') and ad_group_ad_asset_view.enabled = true and asset.source = 'ADVERTISER' and ad_group_ad.ad.id = 632279511075

The request ID is:

1AaoS3ZIjoYGGXuwzkTtNg

In the response, the headline "National Finals Rodeo Las Vegas Tickets - Thomas & Mack Center" is returned even though that specific headline is automatically-generated (see attached UI screenshot) and I filtered the query by "ADVERTISER".

ui.png

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Dec 12, 2022, 4:06:06 PM12/12/22
to ra...@spinneret.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to the Google Ads API support team.

To investigate the issue further, could you please provide the complete request and response logs, with the request-id? If you haven't yet, logging can be enabled by navigating to the Client libraries > Your client library (ex. Java) > Logging documentation, which you can access from this link.You can provide it via Reply privately to author option. If this option is not available, you may send the details directly to our googleadsa...@google.com alias instead. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Google Logo
Nirmita
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2gisw6:ref

Stepanian

Dec 13, 2022, 1:29:06 AM12/13/22
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
I sent the log file privately.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Dec 13, 2022, 5:40:02 AM12/13/22
to ra...@spinneret.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com

Hi Stepanian,

This is Marjorie from the Google Ads API team as well. Thank you for getting back to us.

Allow me to raise this issue to my rest of the team. We will reach out to you once we have any updates.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Google Logo
Marjorie
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2gisw6:ref

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Dec 13, 2022, 12:33:54 PM12/13/22
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, ra...@spinneret.com

Hi Stepanian,

Thank you for your patience while we worked on your issue.

I want to let you know that our team has provided us with an update.

Please see below for the update from our team.

As my team said, confirming that those ad groups do not exist at this time. With this, could you confirm if you are still able to reproduce those ad groups? If yes then, could you provide the updated request and response logs that generated on your end and the ad group IDs ?

You can provide it via Reply privately to the author option. If this option is not available, then send it instead on this email address googleadsa...@google.com.

Regards,

Google Logo
Darwin
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2gisw6:ref

Stepanian

Dec 13, 2022, 12:41:15 PM12/13/22
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
I am sorry I don't understand your last message. Where is the update? What "ad groups" are you referring to? What do you mean by "could you confirm if you are still able to reproduce those ad groups"? Was this message posted on the wrong thread?

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Dec 13, 2022, 9:27:15 PM12/13/22
to ra...@spinneret.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stepanian,

Thank you for getting back to us. I hope that you are doing well today.

Let me explain what my colleague said. Based on the screenshot provided, our team found out that it was old before the ad_group was removed. Our team checked the ad_group where the specific asset text "National Finals Rodeo Las Vegas Tickets - Thomas & Mack Center". This is under the ad_group name of "221210 National Finals Rodeo (Thomas & Mack Center) (NV Residency) [D]". Upon checking the status of this ad_group, we can say that this is already removed or it doesn't exist anymore. If the ad_group is already removed, our team will not be able to check it in the UI.

Therefore, if you are able to reproduce the same issue, please provide us the complete and recent request and response logs that generated on your end together with the screenshot of the Ui where the text is visible and the ad_group is not yet removed.

You can provide it via Reply privately to the author option. If this option is not available, then send it instead on this email address googleadsa...@google.com.

Kind regards,
Google Logo
Sherwin Vincent
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2gisw6:ref

Stepanian

Dec 14, 2022, 12:47:30 AM12/14/22
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
I sent a new log and UI screenshot for an ad that is still active.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Dec 14, 2022, 8:35:13 AM12/14/22
to ra...@spinneret.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com

Hi Stepanian,

Thanks for providing us with the requested information. I’ve forwarded these details to my rest of the team for further investigation. We will reach out to you once we have any updates.

Regards,

Google Logo
Yasar
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2gisw6:ref

Stepanian

Jan 25, 2023, 3:59:49 AM1/25/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hi, any update on this? Thanks.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jan 25, 2023, 10:40:27 AM1/25/23
to ra...@spinneret.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I got an answer back. I'm being told by a fellow engineer who specializes in this area that in this particular case, it appears that the Google Ads UI is incorrect. It is considered advertiser created, and the API is reporting it correctly. I'm having this person dig into figuring out why it's showing a different value in the Google Ads UI.

Regards,
Google Logo
Nadine Wang
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2gisw6:ref

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jan 27, 2023, 2:24:58 PM1/27/23
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, ra...@spinneret.com
Greetings!

I have an update for you. I wasn't convinced by the answer I got, so I spent a few hours doing some digging. I found that the asset you specified that showed automatically created did not show up in the list of assets you created in the UI. That led me to believe that it was really automatically created, and the person who told me it was advertiser created was mistaken or perhaps missed something.

So, I went right back to my fellow engineers, and I told them about my findings. It appears we are correct that it is indeed automatically created, and it's the API showing the incorrect value. Apologies for not finding that sooner, but we're all human, and this system is complicated.

The next steps are that we are going to look into how to fix this issue for the API. I don't have a timeline for it, yet, as we just figured out where the problem could be. Thank you so much for raising this with us. Great catch!

Stepanian

Jan 30, 2023, 10:06:04 PM1/30/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Great! Please post here when the problem is fixed so that we can resume our project. Thank you!

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jan 31, 2023, 5:47:36 PM1/31/23
to ra...@spinneret.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Greetings!

Will do. It looks a bit more complicated than they originally thought, but I do see folks actively working on this. I'll keep an eye on it.

Bogdan Dumitrescu

May 30, 2023, 1:18:10 PM5/30/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Any updates on this ?

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Oct 25, 2023, 9:59:38 AM10/25/23
to ra...@spinneret.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stepanian:

Iv v15 AdGroupAdAssetView.source was corrected so that it now correctly identifies the source of the Asset. There is still a bug with Asset.source where is sometimes return unreliable results, particularly for Text assets. This is is actively being worked on, but I don't have an ETA.

In the interim, please ensure you are using v15 and use https://developers.google.com/google-ads/api/reference/rpc/v15/AdGroupAdAssetView.

https://developers.google.com/google-ads/api/docs/upgrade

This message is in relation to case "ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02gisw6:ref"

Thanks,

Google Logo
Bob Hancock
Google Ads API Team