Please help to clarify "membership duration" of user list

Su Yu

Jan 7, 2020, 3:35:49 PM1/7/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Google Ad API team,

We are trying to use Google Ads API to mutate members to the existing user list. We have some questions about the definition of "membership duration", it will be very helpful if you can help to clarify that.

In this document https://support.google.com/google-ads/answer/6276125, "Create a customer list, Instructions, step 9, we could "Set a membership duration". We wonder if this membership duration is against each individual member in the list or against the entire list.

E.g. if we set a user list member duration to be 30 days, is that means each individual user in that list has 30 days life cycle (i.e. users added within 30 days will be kept), or the entire list has 30 days life cycle (i.e. entire list will be cleaned up after 30 days no matter how we mutate the members)?

Regards,

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Jan 7, 2020, 4:10:45 PM1/7/20
to s...@zulily.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Su,

Thank you for reaching out. As explained here, the membership duration is the amount of time a user stays on your list. For example, if you set your duration to 30 days, every time a new member joins the list they will stay there for 30 days.

Regards,
Mitchell
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5001UOGEaz:ref

Su Yu

Jan 7, 2020, 4:49:44 PM1/7/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Mitchell,

Thank you so much for the quick response.

So correct me if I'm wrong, sounds like the duration applies to each individual member in the list based on your explanation, i.e. user A and user B in same user list could have different expire date (but same 30 days duration) if they are added on different days, am I right?

Also, a followup question, if all members in the user list are expired, the list will still be kept right? The user list will not be deleted. I could still GET the list and ADD members to the list without recreating the list, am I right?

Regards,

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Jan 7, 2020, 5:15:35 PM1/7/20
to s...@zulily.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Su,

Both of those assumptions are correct.

Su Yu

Jan 7, 2020, 5:17:48 PM1/7/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Alright, thanks Mitchell. Your reply is super helpful, I really appreciate that.