Help Needed to Recreate Google Ads UI Report Using API with Campaign and Product Data

Elahe Sharifisamani

Jul 17, 2024, 5:12:22 AM (10 days ago) Jul 17
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hello Google Ads API Community,

I'm currently facing a challenge with recreating a specific report that I can view and filter directly via the Google Ads UI. My goal is to replicate this report using the API but I'm encountering difficulties due to the segregation of data across different tables.

Background:
I routinely generate a report in the Google Ads UI where I use a filter to select specific campaign names to view conversions and conversion values tied to individual products. This report is crucial for my analysis as it combines both product details and campaign-specific information.

Issue:
While extracting data programmatically, I am using the 'Shopping_performance_view_report' table which provides detailed data on products and conversions. However, this table lacks campaign-related information which I need to filter by specific campaigns. I found other tables like 'user_location_view_by_campaign_report', 'ad_group_report', and 'ad_group_ad_report' that contain 'campaign_name' data but none of these include product details to allow a direct join on relevant keys like product IDs or similar identifiers.

Is there a recommended method or a particular table in the Google Ads API that combines both product information and campaign details including conversions data?
If not, could you suggest an efficient way to join or link data from the Shopping_performance_view_report with any of the campaign-specific tables to replicate the UI's capability of filtering by campaign name?
Are there any best practices or examples you could share where such data consolidation has been implemented effectively using the API?
I aim to automate this reporting process and need to ensure that the data extracted via the API aligns perfectly with what we can see and filter in the Google Ads UI. Any guidance, code snippets, or pointers to relevant documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help and looking forward to your expert suggestions!

Best regards,
Elahe Sharifisamani

Screenshot 2024-07-17 100051.png

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jul 17, 2024, 10:55:55 AM (10 days ago) Jul 17
to e.sharifisamani...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to the Google Ads API support team.

Kindly note that the Shopping_performance_view_report table provides detailed data on products and conversions for specific campaigns. It includes metrics such as impressions, clicks, cost, and conversions, as well as product data. You can use the following query:
SELECT campaign.id, campaign.name, metrics.conversions, metrics.conversions_value, segments.product_brand, segments.product_item_id, segments.product_title, segments.product_type_l1, segments.product_type_l2, segments.product_type_l3 FROM shopping_performance_view WHERE campaign.id = {campaign.id}
You can try making a request using the Search or SearchStream by passing the customer Id. Also, you can use Query Builder to create your query and Query Validator to validate your query. I hope this helps, let me know how this goes on your end.

If this is not what you are looking for, kindly provide us the uncropped UI screenshot of the Google Ads account and also highlight the fields and metrics that you require to retrieve via the API.

You can send the details via Reply privately to the author option, or direct private reply to this email.

This message is in relation to case "ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02vDjCw:ref" (ADR-00252733)

Thanks,

Google Logo Google Ads API Team

Elahe Sharifisamani

Jul 23, 2024, 5:29:46 AM (4 days ago) Jul 23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hello,

Thank you for your support and for the detailed query suggestion regarding the Shopping_performance_view_report. I have attempted to implement the suggested SQL query; however, I am encountering a specific issue that I hope you can help me resolve.

Challenge Faced:
The primary challenge is that the Shopping_performance_view_report data accessible via the Y42 ETL tool does not include campaign.id or campaign.name fields, which are crucial for my reporting needs. This omission persists regardless of whether I access the data through Y42's UI or its SQL interface. As such, I am unable to filter the product and conversion data by campaign as needed. ( the connection is made to the account of "Krüger Dirndl MCC --> Krüger Dirndl DE --> Shopping DE 838-545-3198")

Attempted Solutions:
I have verified and re-checked the data schema available to me in Y42, and these campaign fields are consistently absent from the Shopping_performance_view_report.
I have also explored alternative tables that might include both product and campaign data, but none provide the comprehensive data required to replicate the report I can generate directly in the Google Ads UI.
Request for Further Assistance:

Could you please confirm if the campaign.id and campaign.name fields should indeed be available in the Shopping_performance_view_report? Is there a possibility that these fields are available under different names or through different API endpoints?
If these fields are typically included, could there be specific permissions or configurations that I need to adjust to access them?
Attachments:

I am attaching screenshots from both the Y42 interface (UI and SQL version) and the Google Ads UI report. These images highlight the missing campaign data in  Shopping_performance_view_report  and the desired report setup in Google Ads, respectively.

I appreciate your help in addressing this issue, and I look forward to your guidance on how to access the required campaign data to effectively replicate my Google Ads reports in Y42.

Thank you once again for your assistance.

Best regards,
Elahe
UI.png
GA_UI.png
SQL.png

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jul 23, 2024, 9:55:37 AM (4 days ago) Jul 23
to e.sharifisamani...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

From the Google Ads API perspective, I can confirm that the campaign.id and campaign.name fields are available in the shopping_performance_view resource. I would recommend that you use this REST API Interface to execute the query provided by us. Make sure you also provide the fields like developer token, customer id (8385453198) and login-customer-id (8424461462). I can also confirm that there are no specific permissions or configurations needed to access them.

Please note that our team doesn’t have any access or visibility to third party tools and the tool may have additional functionality and behavior that we are not familiar with. Since you are using the Y42 ETL tool, I would recommend you to contact the their respective support team as they will be better equipped to assist you.

This message is in relation to case "ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02vDjCw:ref" (ADR-00252733)

Thanks,

Google Logo Google Ads API Team

Register for the upcoming workshop: Performance Max and the Google Ads API!