any news if google delay the shutdown

guruk

Jul 24, 2013, 5:23:36 AM7/24/13
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
hi.. seems nothing new in that forum?
any news if google delay the shutdown??

Hunter Mayer

Jul 25, 2013, 2:05:40 AM7/25/13
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com, John Egan
I have heard nothing new here.

tl;dr you got options for mediation though. Lots.

I have one app that will just end earning any money Sept 1st. but I should be able to get AdWhirl ripped out of the other. I simply can't get retina support (a redo of all our graphics and the logic we used to place them in short notice) *AND* iphone 5 screen support into both apps to do an update. Its an iOS first world problem. They are older apps and simply will likely require epic amounts of rework. We are stopping working on a new game altogether to make sure existing revenue streams are unaffected as possible. I have to say this 3 month warning has left us in a pinch. 3 months would be enough time if that WAS all we had to do. In our case it really is about getting caught with older apps needing to be updated before they can even be submitted. The combo of the two socks it too us, but the apps work so do they really need updating... well they do now. For us it was return on investment kinds of decision. But I may be alone! So I will stop what might be construed as whining. ;)

Check out MoPub to replace AdWhirl. I use it to mediate and still use AdMob too. MoPub is worth checking out imo, its mostly free of charge as a publisher up to the point you got a billion ads impressed/requested or was it 100 million? I forget the details offhand (best to look it up!) In any case its a champagne problem. I am so far from that at about ~11 million requests a month. Once I get it all wired up I will be sending everything I can just through them them for mediation and feel safer. After a year of using them they have never let us down. Rarely a bump in the road for us, plus increased revenue, since they get almost every request filled for us in our mediation chain. You other options are to just use AdMob to mediate, but I have no experience with that part of the system. Since they were the team that brought us AdWhirl, I would expect that type of capability, possibly evolved, just under the new management. Is that the same management taking down AdWhirl with a quarters notice? Ok  I'll stop being antagonizing. lol. I am sure its a fine service. Check it out for yourself and decide. You got options. Just no time to explore them.

-Hunter

jj

Jul 30, 2013, 11:49:57 AM7/30/13
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com, John Egan
I also have heard nothing, but like Hunter said you have a few options:

1. Move to google admob mediation. It is quite simple to import from adwhirl and the code changes are minor. Though unlike what Hunter said, this is a new team that did not build adwhirl, but they have supported it the last few years.
2. MoPub, not much info though many have used them. With MoPub Online, you can serve up to 10MM impressions monthly before you need to sign a contract or pay a fee. We offer MoPub Premier for customers who want to exceed this number or sign a separate agreement with us. We do not charge a percentage of revenue; we charge on a flat CPM basis. From their FAQ (http://www.mopub.com/resources/faq/).
3. Mobfox has something
4. inner-active.com has something
5. smaato.com also has a platform
6. nexage.com has a platform
7. You can set up adwhirl on amazon yourself and pay for it

I am sure there are more, just google for them. Of the ones above, I can tell you my opinion of those that I have some knowledge on. Google mediation is a solid choice for most people, easy import options from adwhirl, google backed servers and support. The bad with admob mediation is that it's closed source so if you want to modify something you have an issue here. Note, that all are closed, except if you set up your own version of adwhirl. I looked into Smaato and Nexage a few years ago, both are solid options, though things may have changed. I opted for my own version of adwhirl as it gives me more control that I need and want. If you have lower traffic though, you could technically fall into a free tier on AWS at Amazon, but you still have to put in some effort to set it up.

Good Luck and we can only hope Google extends the deadline a bit so more of us can get our smaller/older apps updated.

guruk

Sep 7, 2013, 7:27:17 AM9/7/13
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
helloo... news if google give us some more time?

Eric Leichtenschlag

Sep 9, 2013, 4:23:05 PM9/9/13
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
The plan is still to retire AdWhirl on September 30. We recommend AdMob Mediation as an alternative to AdWhirl, and here is the first video of a 3-part series explaining the migration process to AdMob Mediation.

Thanks,
Eric

guruk

Sep 30, 2013, 4:21:08 PM9/30/13
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
even today is the 30th and i converted my app to admob
google..... dont shutdown now...
only 10% of my users updated for now the app!!
it needs more time