You're invited to join the AdMob Mediation beta

Tom P

Feb 24, 2012, 6:43:19 PM2/24/12
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Our new product, AdMob Ad Network Mediation, is in the final stages of beta for iOS and Android.  Like AdWhirl, Ad Network Mediation allows you to optimize revenue by serving ads from multiple ad networks.  It features many improvements -- enhanced stability, support for tablet sizes, revenue optimization by country, and improved reporting.

We'd strongly encourage you to give this product a try.  We want to get feedback from developers to make sure that Mediation is easy to integrate and that it provides all the features you need.  To enable your AdMob account for Mediation, submit your AdMob account email through this form - we'll enable you as quickly as possible.  You can also go ahead and take a look at the SDK code and integration instructions here for iOS or here for Android.  And for a thorough walk-through on setting up your mediation settings in the AdMob UI, see this page (note: the UI won't appear until we've flipped it on for your account).

This service is completely free.  We'd love for you to give it a try and submit your questions and feedback to mobile-ads-mediation@google.com.

Best,
AdMob Mediation Team

dhg

Feb 27, 2012, 10:53:09 PM2/27/12
to AdWhirl Users
So does this mean that AdWhirl is being discontinued since AdMob owns
AdWhirl and Google owns all?

On Feb 25, 7:43 am, Tom P <tompr...@google.com> wrote:
> *Hi everyone,
>
> Our new product, AdMob Ad Network Mediation, is in the final stages of beta
> for iOS and Android.  Like AdWhirl, Ad Network Mediation allows you to
> optimize revenue by serving ads from multiple ad networks.  It features
> many improvements -- enhanced stability, support for tablet sizes, revenue
> optimization by country, and improved reporting.
>
> We'd strongly encourage you to give this product a try.  We want to get
> feedback from developers to make sure that Mediation is easy to integrate
> and that it provides all the features you need.  To enable your AdMob
> account for Mediation, submit your AdMob account email through this form<https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDh...>- we'll enable you as quickly as possible.  You can also go ahead and take
> a look at the SDK code and integration instructions here for iOS<http://dl.google.com/dl/googleadmobadssdk/googleadmobadssdkwithmediat...>or here
> for Android<http://dl.google.com/dl/googleadmobadssdk/googleadmobadssdkwithmediat...>.
>  And for a thorough walk-through on setting up your mediation settings in
> the AdMob UI, see this page<http://support.google.com/admob/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2413211>(note: the UI won't appear until we've flipped it on for your account).
>
> This service is completely free.  We'd love for you to give it a try and
> submit your questions and feedback to mobile-ads-mediat...@google.com.
>
> Best,
> AdMob Mediation Team*

Oli

Mar 6, 2012, 5:24:01 AM3/6/12
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
Bump.  I'd also like to know this before I do another adwhirl implementation!

wes

Mar 6, 2012, 2:17:36 PM3/6/12
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
While we welcome open source contributions to AdWhirl and are still actively maintaining it, the reality is that the majority of our resources are directed towards AdMob Ad Network Mediation.  We're very excited about the opportunities available there: better revenue optimizations, additional ad network integrations, improved reporting, and--of course--enhanced stability.

Cheers,
Wes

Oli

Mar 6, 2012, 2:26:09 PM3/6/12
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
Sound good. Email address submitted.

Aashish Patel

Mar 6, 2012, 5:39:06 PM3/6/12
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
Is this live? I can't seem to look/download the SDK.

Ash

Eric Leichtenschlag

Mar 9, 2012, 6:50:17 PM3/9/12
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
The links in the original post are live, which let you download the Mediation Beta code, but you need to fill out the form in above to get whitelisted for mediation.

Eric

Lance Nanek

Mar 28, 2012, 10:06:53 AM3/28/12
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The new AdMob version linked (5.0.1) doesn't seem to be supported by AdWhirl due to missing methods that are in the current version of AdMob (4.3.1):

03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904): Caught an exception in adapter:
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904): java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.google.ads.AdRequest.setGender
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at com.adwhirl.adapters.GoogleAdMobAdsAdapter.requestForAdWhirlLayout(GoogleAdMobAdsAdapter.java:93)
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at com.adwhirl.adapters.GoogleAdMobAdsAdapter.handle(GoogleAdMobAdsAdapter.java:67)
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at com.adwhirl.adapters.AdWhirlAdapter.handle(AdWhirlAdapter.java:168)
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at com.adwhirl.AdWhirlLayout.handleAd(AdWhirlLayout.java:231)
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at com.adwhirl.AdWhirlLayout.access$300(AdWhirlLayout.java:53)
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at com.adwhirl.AdWhirlLayout$HandleAdRunnable.run(AdWhirlLayout.java:399)
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:605)
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:92)
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:154)
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4894)
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:511)
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:784)
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:551)
03-28 09:31:29.674: W/AdWhirl SDK(9904):     at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

I would prefer to use it with AdWhirl, even if it does support its own mediation.

1) I've noticed AdMob is pretty unstable and I like to be able to turn AdMob off from AdWhirl after deployment if it is crashing WebViews and other nonsense that I often see reported back from my apps after release. Heck, that's reason enough to want to upgrade and just leave mediation off. Your changes include:

>enhanced stability, support for tablet sizes, revenue optimization by country, and improved reporting.

2) Previous versions have supported multiple networks, like when AdSense ads were added as a backfill option. Turning that option on always resulted in less total revenue for me, however. I guess because AdWhirl could backfill with a better paying ad than AdMob could with AdSense. So it was better to not let AdMob try to backfill. This isn't really surprising. Adwhirl supports more networks than AdMob and AdSense and AdMob ads have been paying much less since Google bought them. Who knows the reason for that, maybe they just have many more people willing to show ads so don't have to pay much, I'm just laying out the facts.

Anyway, the new AdMob mediation still supports far fewer networks than AdWhirl. It probably always will since it is closed source and Adwhirl is open source. Therefore I don't really trust it to pay well when previous AdMob mediation attempts with AdMob and AdSense performed poorly. Supporting AdWhirl would allow easier temporary A/B tests and whatnot. I suppose AdWhirl is open source, so I can just go change the adapter to support the latest AdMob version. Honestly, AdMob is just turned off in the console login where I make the most money (I admit, only about $750/month) at the moment due to crashes reported on my users and poor revenue vs. other networks, so it isn't really worth any coding effort on my part.

I have been considering trying MobClix for real time ad choosing based on how much money each ad makes. They've been at this much longer than the new AdMob Mediation. It's usually pretty easy to watch ad networks for how much they are paying in general and prioritize them, however. So I guess some sort of stats or white paper that prove real time choosing of ads outperforms just keeping an eye on the averages each week is going to do much better would help you guys win over users to the new closed source AdMob Mediation that copies MobClix. That's why I never got around to trying them.

Sorry that all sounded so negative. Maybe it will help you make a better product, though. Best of luck!

William

Apr 19, 2012, 5:15:20 PM4/19/12
to AdWhirl Users
Hi,

Why would AdMob do this to take control away from devs that's why rage
against the machine!

On Feb 25, 9:43 am, Tom P <tompr...@google.com> wrote:
> *Hi everyone,
>
> Our new product, AdMob Ad Network Mediation, is in the final stages of beta
> for iOS and Android.  Like AdWhirl, Ad Network Mediation allows you to
> optimize revenue by serving ads from multiple ad networks.  It features
> many improvements -- enhanced stability, support for tablet sizes, revenue
> optimization by country, and improved reporting.
>
> We'd strongly encourage you to give this product a try.  We want to get
> feedback from developers to make sure that Mediation is easy to integrate
> and that it provides all the features you need.  To enable your AdMob
> account for Mediation, submit your AdMob account email through this form<https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDh...>- we'll enable you as quickly as possible.  You can also go ahead and take
> a look at the SDK code and integration instructions here for iOS<http://dl.google.com/dl/googleadmobadssdk/googleadmobadssdkwithmediat...>or here
> for Android<http://dl.google.com/dl/googleadmobadssdk/googleadmobadssdkwithmediat...>.
>  And for a thorough walk-through on setting up your mediation settings in
> the AdMob UI, see this page<http://support.google.com/admob/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2413211>(note: the UI won't appear until we've flipped it on for your account).
>
> This service is completely free.  We'd love for you to give it a try and

Lance Nanek

Apr 25, 2012, 2:43:23 PM4/25/12
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, it's pretty funny. Usually Google is considered the good guy, but in this case they bought a company, stopped developing the open source project run by that company, and released a closed source alternative. Now they are posting in the users group of the open source project they stopped to cannibalize users for their closed source version. I guess all their money mostly comes from ads, so their don't be evil ethos takes a back seat to their pay check in this field.

wes

Apr 26, 2012, 4:04:40 PM4/26/12
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
We're excited about the opportunities presented by AdMob Mediation--particularly, improved reporting, scalability, and country targeting--but this doesn't mean we've forsaken AdWhirl.  AdWhirl's still open source, and is a great solution for developers looking to have that extra bit of control.  We see both products as serving slightly different spaces, and we think that's a good thing.

Cheers,
Wes

aobo

Jun 18, 2012, 12:24:57 AM6/18/12
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
Some times , I can not open AdMob Mediation page, Why?

2012年4月27日金曜日 5時04分40秒 UTC+9 wes:

MattDavid

Aug 23, 2012, 2:52:10 PM8/23/12
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
Where can I find step by step instructions on adding AdMob to my Android and iOS apps? What I would like to do is create a simply "how to" video.

Cheers

Rajkumar Parameswaran

Aug 23, 2012, 7:18:47 PM8/23/12
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Your best bet would probably be to check out our guides at https://developers.google.com/mobile-ads-sdk/docs/. If you go through Banner and Interstitial guides, it should give you a good understanding of how to get up and running with AdMob.

kgb

Jul 31, 2013, 6:17:41 AM7/31/13
to adwhir...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I cannot find my adwhirl account, at least the ones that my apps are currently tied to.. can I send you the Adwhirl SDK key, and from there can you send me the Email address that was used? Best regards, Kgb
This service is completely free.  We'd love for you to give it a try and submit your questions and feedback to mobile-ads...@google.com.

Best,
AdMob Mediation Team