Next Door Dinners: A Community Dinner Project!

Slow Food Youth Network Chicago

Apr 17, 2022, 2:48:41 PM4/17/22
to advocates-for-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi AUA community,

I am the founder of a new community dinner project called Next Door Dinners! This is a three course dinner that sells out at 50 people. Last month was our first meal and we sold out a week in advance.

The dinner sources from Chicago urban farmers and makers. Last month we featured Womade, a woman-owned salsa company in Little Village, and Star Farm, a farm on the south west side of the city.

This dinner is pay-what-you-can, so all are welcome! The amount that people can give to “break even” for dinner costs per person is about $10. Last month, some gave $5 and some gave $50. All profits are given to a nonprofit called Grow Greater Englewood. Last month we raised $400 for their programming and hope to do the same this month!

I have another dinner upcoming up in two weeks and I’d love to see new faces there so I wanted to reach out. Could you help me get the word out on this new, dinner project?

I think it has the potential to be really successful and make a difference in the way we see food and community.

I have attached a few photos from last months dinner and the Menu for this month.
  • Venue address, including cross streets and nearest public transportation: Second Unitarian Church, 656 W Barry Ave, Chicago, IL 60657. Close to the Belmont stop, and lots of close Pay-to-Park parking on Belmont and Broadway.
  • Event dates and times: April 25, 7pm-8:30pm
  • Event prices: Pay-what-you-can, break even cost around $10
  • Telephone number(s): (319) 651-6011
  • Website (if available): I only have instagram, @nextdoordinners and https://linktr.ee/NextDoorDinners
  • List of artists on the bill, from headliner to opener (when applicable): I play music, but nothing live (yet :) )
  • Your contact informationcarlyh...@gmail.com, (319) 651-6011
Starter: Homemade hummus and pita **Pita and chickpeas from Sanabel Bakery
Main: Herb and tomato lentil soup, house pickled vegetables, kale salad with fresh feta and homemade croutons
Dessert: Rose water + raspberry ghraybeh
Drinks: This is a BYOB function, bring wine, beer, or N/A beverages to share.

CARLY HERRON
Program Coordinator | Good Food Accelerator
Founder of @NextDoorDinners

--
SFYN Chicago
Working every day to make food good, clean, and fair for all!