compostable produce bags?

Sheri Doyel

Mar 23, 2021, 4:01:20 PM3/23/21
to advocates-for-u...@googlegroups.com, Emily Zack

Hi AUA – We’ve started using compostable bags for lettuce/greens sales in our cafeteria fridge, and are finding that they don’t hold the product as well… its gets wilted a few days in ones’ fridge.  Are all compostable bags the same?  Does the ingredients make them work better?  Any tips on good bags that the customer will appreciate for storage are welcome!

Thanks!

Sheri

Sheri Doyel, Director

Center for Agrarian Learning

P: (815) 479-7618

sdo...@mchenry.edu

……………………………………..

8900 US Hwy 14

Crystal Lake, IL 60012

……………………………………….

  www.mchenry.edu                                   www.mchenry.edu/cal/

Bill Ladd-Cawthorne

Mar 24, 2021, 5:34:05 PM3/24/21
to Advocates for Urban Agriculture
Hi Sheri!

In my limited experience, those green compostable greens bags are always kind of gross.  Strangely, the green compostable t-shirt bags work great!  Have you considered trying something like this folded paper box?  You can't see the contents when it's closed, but those compostable bags aren't clear either, at least the ones I've encountered.  You could also try a compostable box with a clear recycled plastic lid, but that would cut pretty deeply into any profit you're trying to make.  I guess this hasn't been too helpful.  I hope someone has a solution!

Best,
Bill

Renee P

Mar 30, 2021, 12:28:35 AM3/30/21
to Advocates for Urban Agriculture
I find that is you don't close the bags, roll them down and leave them widely open at the top, things don't get gross as fast.

Alternative idea: source 100% post-consumer recycled paper bags, as long as it's just paper bag, pretty sure those are fully compostable too.

Good luck!