Exam for FAU students

Florian Marquardt

Feb 10, 2022, 12:59:36 PM2/10/22
to AdvancedMachineLearning
Dear FAU students,

The exam takes place next Thursday 10-12 - see the announcement on the website.

The following topics will be relevant for the exam: Representation Learning (Autoencoders) - Basics of Bayes, Gaussian Random Processes, Kullback-Leibler, Fisher Information, Mutual Information - Learning probability distributions (RBM,norm. flows,VAE,GAN) - Graph neural networks - Attention mechanisms - Basics of Implicit Layers - Model-free RL - Active Learning and Bayesian Optimal Experimental Design.

Not tested in the exam: Introductory chapter about basics of Neural Networks (you should know about this, but we will not test on this) - Recurrent Neural Networks - Details of Transformers - Model-based RL - section 10.3 (advanced active learning) - Algorithmic Information Theory

The exam will be similar in spirit to the more conceptual/mathematical homework problems, not the occasional programming exercises.

We will try to produce some example questions by next Monday and distribute that on the website, so you can get a feeling of how the exam looks like.

Best regards,

Florian

Jan Petermann

Feb 11, 2022, 3:53:05 AM2/11/22
to AdvancedMachineLearning
Is it allowed to take a handwritten note into the exam?
Thanks and regards,
Jan Petermann

Florian Marquardt

Feb 11, 2022, 11:59:51 AM2/11/22
to AdvancedMachineLearning
Yes, during the exam it is allowed to use a handwritten A4 sheet (front and backside), handwritten by yourself, with any notes you think might be useful.

Best regards,
Florian Marquardt

Bastian Setter

Feb 13, 2022, 8:43:37 AM2/13/22
to AdvancedMachineLearning
With 'Algorithmic Information Theory' , are you reffering to chapter 11 as a whole? Or only subchapters.

Best regards,
Bastian

Florian Marquardt

Feb 13, 2022, 3:25:33 PM2/13/22
to AdvancedMachineLearning
I refer to the whole last chapter. So this will not be tested in the exam (but I still recommend studying it eventually, it is all very interesting and potentially important in the future!).

Florian Marquardt

Feb 13, 2022, 3:31:08 PM2/13/22
to AdvancedMachineLearning
I just put up a page for some practice exam questions: https://pad.gwdg.de/6o-xewD0R1aIfBFJ4K4zJg#

The real exam will feature 4 questions for 2 hours.

Bastian Setter

Feb 14, 2022, 11:02:07 AM2/14/22
to AdvancedMachineLearning
A question to Exercise 1.ii:
What do you mean by delta x?

Florian Marquardt

Feb 14, 2022, 12:22:33 PM2/14/22
to Bastian Setter, AdvancedMachineLearning
That would be just some constant that is given.