Jagadguru Speaks: Satisfaction, Basis for Happiness

S Jayanarayanan

Jul 4, 2024, 4:07:12 PMJul 4
to Chaturamnaya List, A. Discussion Group for Advaita Vedanta, Advaitin
Satisfaction is indispensable for happiness in man’s life. Aman
without satisfaction cannot enjoy comforts. Therefore, if one
finds out the reason for dissatisfaction, greed is the cause.

If greed is not checked it will make man chase chimeras. Even if
he attains success after great effort, it will not last long. Greed
will keep cheating him.

In that case should there be no ambition to progress in life? The
answer is: Desire for progress is okay. But there should be a limit
to it. In fact, there must be a limit to everything. Otherwise,
unlimited desire will turn into greed and lead to jealousy and end
in a big loss. Anger and ego will prevent good thoughts. Mind
will be spoilt and happiness will be lost. Only after a fall one will
realise how dangerous is excess greed.

Our sages have already thought over it and have given suitable
advice.

परितुष्येत्ततस्तात तावन्मात्रेण पूरुषः ।
दैवोपसादितं यावद्वीक्ष्येश्वरगतिं बुधः ।।

That is, trusting in divine decree let a contented man be satisfied
with whatever providentially comes to his lot.

We bless all to understand this well and progress in life with
forethought.