Fwd: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Re: UT Dharmaśāstra Resource Library in devanAgarI , CC license, open access publishing

V Subrahmanian

Jul 16, 2021, 1:13:25 PM7/16/21
to A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta, adva...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Mārcis Gasūns <gas...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 8:56 PM
Subject: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Re: UT Dharmaśāstra Resource Library in devanAgarI , CC license, open access publishing
To: भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत् <bvpar...@googlegroups.com>

On Sunday, 27 June 2021 at 11:06:57 UTC+3 विश्वासो वासुकेयः wrote:
It is so wonderful that this scholar has published his effort openly and freely under CC BY-SA license. Another leukospheric scholar, McComas Taylor completed his versified translation of the Viṣṇupurāṇa and published it open access at https://press-files.anu.edu.au/downloads/press/n8264/pdf/book.pdf

It's a gift.

It is something Indian scholars and universities should learn from. I have sought digitized searchable versions of smRti-nibandha-s for my studies and practice (I know they exist in private collections of some Indian scholars) - the best I managed to get was "talk to the hand" or "it will be published one day, be patient" or "use my app" type response.

And the day never comes.

Even where it is published, there is no guarantee that it will stay on the net (like that infamous tirupati corpus from last decade). Some (otherwise venerable) organizations are so stupid as to use outdated fonts and computer setups just to thwart data copying!

I never thought that the old fonts are used intentionally. Pune has a lot of anti-Unicode fonts just because they are used to them, that is what I was thinking before. Too much of the कूपमण्डूक approach in India, so sad to see it in the Universities.