CORRECT UNDERSTANDING

sreenivasa murthy

Aug 15, 2022, 9:26:26 PM8/15/22
to A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta, Advaitin
Dear friends,

The following Sruti mantras  declare ;

SatyaM  jnAnaM  anantam  brahma || TaittarIya 2-1

sarvagM  hyEtadbrahma  ayamAtmA  brahma ||

                                          ManDukya Mantra 2

brahmaivEdagM  viSvaM  variShTham || muMDaka

ahamEvEdagam   sarvam || Chandogya 7-25-1

AtmaivEdagaM   sarvam  || Chandogya 7-25-2

Atmata EvEdagM  sarvam || Chandogya 7-26-1

prapaMcOpaSamam   Sivam   advaitam  caturtham  manyantE

       sa  AtmA  sa  VijnEyaH || Mandukya mantra 7

From the above quoted mantras it follows that

Aham which is myself and which is HERE and NOW

is Atman, Brahman. And also I am anantam and advaitam.

But my present  understanding about myself is that

I am a limited being who has a beginning and end.

What Sruti is pointing out and my present understanding

are diametrically opposite.

 Which is the  correct understanding?

Answer for the above question based on sArvatrikapUrNAnuBava and which may be verified within oneself by oneself  may please be provided by the members
if they wish to respond.

With respectful namaskars,
Sreenivasa Murthy

sunil bhattacharjya

Aug 16, 2022, 1:26:08 PM8/16/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Namaskar  Sreenivasa Murthyji.

you wrote as follows:
"I am a limited being who has a beginning and end".
My query to you would be
Why do you have to identify yourself permanently with  your perishable body?

Best
skb

sreenivasa murthy

Aug 16, 2022, 1:38:26 PM8/16/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sri  Sunil Bhattachariya,

Please do not put counter questions.
I have asked a simple and direct question.
Please study adhyasabhashya of Sri Shankara in depth.
Then you will realise how absurd is your counter question.
If the answer is not known to you it is better if one keeps silent.
Kindly excuse me for my response.

With respectful namaskars,
Sreenivasa Murthy.

sunil bhattacharjya

Aug 16, 2022, 9:35:13 PM8/16/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com
I look forward to seeing the incoming replies. Till then let us hold our horses.
Best wishes
skb

Sent from my iPhone

Bhaskar YR

Aug 16, 2022, 11:30:27 PM8/16/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms Sri Srinivasamurthy prabhuji

Hare Krishna

  • Kindly allow me to share my 2 paisa worth thoughts on this :

From the above quoted mantras it follows that

Aham which is myself and which is HERE and NOW

is Atman, Brahman. And also I am anantam and advaitam.

  • Yes prabhuji.

But my present  understanding about myself is that

I am a limited being who has a beginning and end.

  • That is due to avidyA.  To eradicate this wrong notion shruti saying you are immortal.

What Sruti is pointing out and my present understanding

are diametrically opposite.

  • Yes that is because what we thought we are is due to avidyA but what shruti says is ‘vidyA’ obviously vidyA and avidyA diametrically opposite 😊

 Which is the  correct understanding?

  •  Being an Advaita vedAntin atleast intellectually we should first know what shruti saying is correct !!

Answer for the above question based on sArvatrikapUrNAnuBava and which may be verified within oneself by oneself  may please be provided by the members if they wish to respond.

  • Yes the answer should be found by oneself within oneself with the help of shabda pramANa, Acharya upadesha, shrutyanugraheeta tarka ( manana) on the basis sArvatrika pUrNAnubhava.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!

Bhaskar YR

sunil bhattacharjya

Aug 17, 2022, 1:04:07 AM8/17/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bhaskarji,

My query to shri Sreenivasa Murthy was
Why do you have to identify yourself permanently with  your perishable body?
shri Sreenivasa Murthy got affronted and he replied as follows:
Please study adhyasabhashya of Sri Shankara in depth.Then you will realise how absurd is your counter question.
Don't you think that Shri Sreenivasa Murthy's dehabhimana is due to avidya?

Best
skb

Bhaskar YR

Aug 17, 2022, 1:39:21 AM8/17/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms Sri Sunil prabhuji

Hare Krishna

My query to shri Sreenivasa Murthy was

Why do you have to identify yourself permanently with  your perishable body?

shri Sreenivasa Murthy got affronted and he replied as follows:

Please study adhyasabhashya of Sri Shankara in depth.Then you will realise how absurd is your counter question.

Ø    In adhyAsa bhAshya, as you know how this ahamkara & mamakAra would do havoc.  Atasmin tadbuddhiH somehow creeped deeply in our mind and due to which we are suffering.  Shankara calls this dehAtma buddhi as adhyAsa which is the root cause for our suffering.

Don't you think that Shri Sreenivasa Murthy's dehabhimana is due to avidya

Ø     No one ajnAni is free or exception from this dehAbhimAna or upAdhi parichinna buddhi and as a result we often suffer.  And shruti says you are not deha, indriya, mana, buddhi, ahamkara but you are pUrNa, aparichinna and adviteeya.  And that ultimate realization should happen in shama damAdi susamskruta mana through shAstra, AchAryOpadesha, shrauta tarka on the basis of universal experience of everyone.  And this is what I was trying to say to Sri Srinivasa Murthy prabhuji’s queries.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!

bhaskar

sunil bhattacharjya

Aug 17, 2022, 7:22:30 AM8/17/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bhaskarji,

Many people get confused by the word "Deha" in "Dehabhimana". "Deha" here  includes both (i) the "Sukshma sareera", which includes  Chitta- Man- Budddhi -Ahankara, and  this sukshma sareera, which  goes from body to body in different births,   as well as the (ii) Sthula sareera or the physical body, which is left behind at the end of each birth.

When one becomes Jnani , one  does not have the  dehabhimana any more, and  then one can become bidehamukta and that is what is the aim of the advaitins.  I am sure you know all these, but there may be many in the group, who are beginners.

Bande Krishna Jagadgurum.

Sunil KB

sunil bhattacharjya

Aug 17, 2022, 4:36:26 PM8/17/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

My mail has the typical Bengali / Assamese spelling style , where "v" is generally pronounced and written as "b". The Sanskrit word "Videhamukti" tends to become "Bidehamukti"  and the Sanskrit word Vande" tends to become "Bande". Old habits die hard, so kindly excuse me for taking this liberty at times.

Vande Krishnam Jagadgurum
skb

Bhaskar YR

Aug 17, 2022, 11:52:10 PM8/17/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com

Many people get confused by the word "Deha" in "Dehabhimana". "Deha" here  includes both (i) the "Sukshma sareera", which includes  Chitta- Man- Budddhi -Ahankara, and  this sukshma sareera, which  goes from body to body in different births,   as well as the (ii) Sthula sareera or the physical body, which is left behind at the end of each birth.

Ø    praNAms

Ø   Hare Krishna

In some of the works we do have the reference about ‘third’ shareera i.e. kAraNa shareera often it is called as ‘avidyA’.  Ishaavaasya 8th mantra bhAshya talks about it.  Just sharing my thoughts.

sunil bhattacharjya

Aug 18, 2022, 4:56:37 PM8/18/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Dea Bhaskarji,

Apte's Sanskrit to English dictionary tells us that the word "अभिमानः abhimānaḥ" means pride. Thus "Dehabhimana" means a sense of pride on account of possessing the Deha, which is impermanent.  Do you think it  really sensible to nourish "dehabhimana" or being proud of this impermanent "deha"? This is avidya and it will only hamper our spiritual progress. Hope you will agree.

Best
skb

sunil bhattacharjya

Aug 19, 2022, 1:11:50 AM8/19/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bhaskarji,

Mana-Buddhi-Ahamkara constitute the sukshma sareera or the kārana sareera;  and the physical body with the nerve control is the Sthula sareera. The Videhamukta becomes one with the Brahman by being  free from both the  shukshma and the sthula Sareeras.

Best
skb

sunil bhattacharjya

Aug 19, 2022, 12:43:31 PM8/19/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bhskarji,

Mana/mind controls all the indriyas and we have to control the mind by dhyana / nididhyasana on the Mahavakyas.

After imparting the knowledge of the Anatman and Atman, Lord Ram advised  Hanumanji to do the dhyana on Lord Ram's avyaya state and achieve  the  stage of manah-shunya, which is the stage  when the complete control of the mind is achieved.

My 2 cents