Announcing adva-cms2 0.0.1

1 view

christopher floess

Oct 29, 2010, 7:57:17 AM10/29/10
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Okay everyone:

The latest blog post here and as promised, so is the first public
release of adva-cms2:

Read it:

http://adva-cms.org/2010/10/25/adva-cms2-0-0-1-developer-sneak-peak-preview-release

Please be aware that this really is a developer preview release. There
are known bugs and there will be major changes to the codebase in the
near future.

You can clone adva-cms2 from here:

http://github.com/svenfuchs/adva-cms2

Have fun!

-- Chris

Rob Sterner

Oct 29, 2010, 8:06:09 AM10/29/10
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Nice work all! I admittedly haven't done more with the source than
clone the repo (yet!), but off of the top of your heads are there any
conflicts that you know of with deploying an adva-cms2 install to
heroku? I figured I'd ask rather than waste an hour fighting some
known incompatibility.

Thanks again!

Rob

christopher floess

Oct 29, 2010, 8:21:56 AM10/29/10
to adva...@googlegroups.com

On 10/29/2010 02:06 PM, Rob Sterner wrote:
> Nice work all! I admittedly haven't done more with the source than
> clone the repo (yet!), but off of the top of your heads are there any
> conflicts that you know of with deploying an adva-cms2 install to
> heroku? I figured I'd ask rather than waste an hour fighting some
> known incompatibility.

Hi Rob,

I don't not know, but admittedly, I also haven't tried ;)

Um, perhaps someone else has some more input.

> Thanks again!
You're welcome.

If I do come across something, I'll post back

-- Chris

Jeroen van Dijk

Oct 30, 2010, 8:33:02 AM10/30/10
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for giving us a sneak preview. I haven't tried it yet, but I did explore the code a bit on Github. One thing I noticed was that I couldn't fin namespacing for the models nor references to the Rails Engine API. Is this something that is planned? The new Rails engine API is really something that should be exploited IMHO.

Another question comes to mind about the admin interface. Is see similar concepts from the previous Adva Cms (Blog, Page, Section), I would like to see a way of replicating the admin interface of BrowserCms. Are you guys familiar with that and if so, do you think a configurable page with containers and such would be a possible extension on top of the AdvaCms architecture?

Looking forward to follow the progress you guys are making.

Cheers Jeroen

Sven Fuchs

Oct 30, 2010, 8:48:45 AM10/30/10
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeroen,

On Oct 30, 2010, at 2:33 PM, Jeroen van Dijk wrote:
Thanks for giving us a sneak preview. I haven't tried it yet, but I did explore the code a bit on Github. One thing I noticed was that I couldn't fin namespacing for the models nor references to the Rails Engine API. Is this something that is planned? The new Rails engine API is really something that should be exploited IMHO.

I'm not sure what you mean by Rails engine API. adva-cms2 consists entirely of Rails 3 engines and adds some flavor of common behaviour of Adva engines on top of it. E.g.

But maybe you're referring to some other parts of the engine API that we don't currenty use?

Another question comes to mind about the admin interface. Is see similar concepts from the previous Adva Cms (Blog, Page, Section),

That's right. As Chris explained on the blog we're trying to keep things as simple as possible on the "user-feature-level" side. Instead we're focussing on the "dev-support-framework-level" side. Obviously we only have this many resources at hand and we've decided the framework part is way more important to get right initially (a lesson we've learned from the first version of adva-cms).

I would like to see a way of replicating the admin interface of BrowserCms. Are you guys familiar with that and if so, do you think a configurable page with containers and such would be a possible extension on top of the AdvaCms architecture?

I'm personally not really familiar. I remember I've had a brief look at it. If you're talking about the ability to compose a page from multiple polymorphic content parts then it's something I know from other cms.

This definitely is an interesting feature (or rather a higher level concept as it involves more than just one feature). It also makes things quite complex though which is why there are no plans to add this right now. That said it should be easily possible to add another Section type to experiment with this.

I believe that at some point in the future adva-cms2 should be solid and mature enough to focus more on integrating higher level concepts like this.

Jeroen van Dijk

Oct 31, 2010, 11:07:37 AM10/31/10
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sven,

Thanks for responding.

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Sven Fuchs <sven...@artweb-design.de> wrote:
Hi Jeroen,

On Oct 30, 2010, at 2:33 PM, Jeroen van Dijk wrote:
Thanks for giving us a sneak preview. I haven't tried it yet, but I did explore the code a bit on Github. One thing I noticed was that I couldn't fin namespacing for the models nor references to the Rails Engine API. Is this something that is planned? The new Rails engine API is really something that should be exploited IMHO.

I'm not sure what you mean by Rails engine API. adva-cms2 consists entirely of Rails 3 engines and adds some flavor of common behaviour of Adva engines on top of it. E.g.

But maybe you're referring to some other parts of the engine API that we don't currenty use?

Thanks for pointing me those files. I just had a brief look at Github and I couldn't find the Rails::Engine at first. I should have cloned the library instead and do a find all :) However I do miss the namespacing of models. So say I'm having an ActiveRecord model named Page, this would have a name conflict with Adva. Did you consider this but just not implemented this or am I missing something? And maybe, I'm not sure, Adva should even be a set of isolated engines as described here http://piotrsarnacki.com/2010/09/14/mountable-engines/

[...]

Yes, that is basically what I mean and browsercms has wrapped it nicely in a WYSIWYG kind of interface.

This definitely is an interesting feature (or rather a higher level concept as it involves more than just one feature). It also makes things quite complex though which is why there are no plans to add this right now. That said it should be easily possible to add another Section type to experiment with this.

I believe that at some point in the future adva-cms2 should be solid and mature enough to focus more on integrating higher level concepts like this.

Awesome. I understand your decision of not starting with this.

Again looking forward to see your progress and also looking forward to use it of course.

Jeroen

Sven Fuchs

Nov 1, 2010, 4:40:28 AM11/1/10
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeroen,

On Oct 31, 2010, at 4:07 PM, Jeroen van Dijk wrote:
Thanks for pointing me those files. I just had a brief look at Github and I couldn't find the Rails::Engine at first. I should have cloned the library instead and do a find all :) However I do miss the namespacing of models. So say I'm having an ActiveRecord model named Page, this would have a name conflict with Adva. Did you consider this but just not implemented this or am I missing something? And maybe, I'm not sure, Adva should even be a set of isolated engines as described here http://piotrsarnacki.com/2010/09/14/mountable-engines/

Ah, right. Sorry I've missed your question about namespacing.

Yeah, actually we've tried namespacing the models. But we've run into so many questions/issues about how Rails helpers etc. would support them that we've given up and pushed that topic back to after Rails 3.1. TBH I haven't followed Piotr's work that closely but I expect this kind of stuff to improve a *ton* once his rsoc work has matured a little.

So, yes, I guess we definitely want better namespacing and it would have been great to support it right from the beginning. Unfortunately we'll have to wait a little longer and then incorporate that in adva-cms2 later.