when do I get a DCRA Housing Inspection Report for BBL

Andrew Barr

May 9, 2022, 10:40:49 AM5/9/22
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Hi everyone,

We are in the final stages of construction on a garage-conversion for an ADU in Ward 5.  I am now applying for a Basic Business License (BBL).  It appears the BBL website won't allow me to submit the BBL application without uploading a document for the DCRA housing inspection report.  But I thought I was supposed to schedule an inspection AFTER I paid for and received the BBL.  Even the name of the PDF form is called "BBL Self-Certification  Post Licensure Inspection Requirement".

Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks!
Andrew

Ileana Schinder

May 9, 2022, 10:55:50 AM5/9/22
to Andrew Barr, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Hi andrew,
Quick suggestion. Try submitting the final CONSTRUCTION inspection. Sometimes DCRA mixes those up.
ile

PS: Wait, don't go... My book "Housing for Humans" is available!

ileana schinder, Architect
AIA, LEED AP BD+C

i...@ileanaschinder.com
o: 202-381-7463 / c: 202-431-6760

http://www.ileanaschinder.com

Hunter Smith

May 9, 2022, 11:05:17 AM5/9/22
to Ileana Schinder, Andrew Barr, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
DCRA changed its procedures (but not all its websites describing those procedures).  You now need to schedule the BBL inspection first.  After you get the certificate stating you passed the inspection, you then apply for the BBL.

Andrew Barr

May 9, 2022, 11:15:17 AM5/9/22
to Hunter Smith, DC Accessory Apartments Forum, Ileana Schinder
This is good to know! Thanks.

JEAN POITEVIEN

May 9, 2022, 11:20:49 AM5/9/22
to Andrew Barr, Hunter Smith, DC Accessory Apartments Forum, Ileana Schinder
Hi Andrew,

DCRA inspects the property prior to issuing the license.

Prior to logging into the portal, there is a link for you to cut and paste in order to schedule the inspection.

Once you receive the passing inspection report, you can then upload, pay and finish the process.

I hope this information helps. Jean

If you enjoyed the experience, please leave us a review on Google with your comments.

Jean Poitevien

BBL PROCESSORS

Part of the AFREM SERVICES Network

PO Box 9585

Washington DC 20016

(D) 202-747-4181

(F) 844-342-7087

(E) jean.po...@bblprocessors.com

(W) www.bblprocessors.com

DISCLAIMER: The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

NOTE:  BBL PROCESSORS or the AFREM SERVICES Network are not affiliated with any District of Columbia or State of Maryland government agencies. We are a licensing processing and management company assisting business and rental property owners in obtaining and renewing their BBL (Basic Business License) or Maryland Rental License.

to Ileana Schinder, Andrew Barr, DC Accessory Apartments Forum

Ouch! Just discovered DC’s huge hotel lobby apparently got reduced the number of allowed AirBnb days by resident-homeowners from 365 to just 90, making a DC ADU less attractive for many of us.

Anyone know if Montgomery County, Silver Spring, Takoma Park or Hyattsville/Mt Ranier might still allow 365 days? And if is it likely an ex post facto situation, where owners already renting AirBnb outside DC could not be restricted by future legislation/regulation?   Thanks. Jim P

Dana Powell

May 28, 2022, 8:47:46 PM5/28/22
to Jim P, Ileana Schinder, Andrew Barr, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
What is your citation?

On Sat, May 28, 2022, 11:58 AM Jim P <jim...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ouch! Just discovered DC’s huge hotel lobby apparently got reduced the number of allowed AirBnb days by resident-homeowners from 365 to just 90, making a DC ADU less attractive for many of us.

Anyone know if Montgomery County, Silver Spring, Takoma Park or Hyattsville/Mt Ranier might still allow 365 days? And if is it likely an ex post facto situation, where owners already renting AirBnb outside DC could not be restricted by future legislation/regulation?   Thanks. Jim P

Jim P

May 30, 2022, 10:23:00 AM5/30/22
to Andrew Barr, DC Accessory Apartments Forum, Ileana Schinder
According to my Takoma Park friend, Montgomery County and Tk Park MD still allow 365 days of AirBnb rental for resident owners.  So I'm regrettably shifting my ADU plans away from DC.

Don't know about PG yet: especially Hyattsville and Mt Ranier
Thanks,

Jim

kevin....@gmail.com

May 30, 2022, 10:45:23 AM5/30/22
to DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Hi Jim, why do you think DC has reduced the number of stays of resident homeowners from 365 to 90 days?

According to DCRA's website (link), as long as the owner is occupying the primary portion of the residence, there is no limit. That is, you can offer short-term rentals for a spare room, basement apartment, ADU, etc.

Are you referring to the scenario where the property is not owner-occupied? If so, there is absolutely a restriction on the number of days. DC is absolutely correct in limiting days for non-owner occupied short-term rentals. Frankly, I hope the District make it even more restrictive. It's becoming impossible for young people to find affordable rentals because investors have permanently removed a lot of housing from the long-term rental market, converting homes to effective hotels.

Kevin Horgan

Iden Kamyar

May 30, 2022, 11:29:34 AM5/30/22
to kevin....@gmail.com, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Although DC claimed the goal of the restricting short term rental for non owner occupied units was affordability, but in reality it was a disguise to cut out the individual homeowners who had a second house from the extra income and send the profits to big corporations. While I am no longer able to Airbnb my old second home in Washington DC, companies like WhyHotel operate hundreds of apartments in residential buildings as a hotel at any given time which removes those units out of the housing market and drives up the rent for the young people who actually want to live in apartments with amenities and not in old houses.

JEAN POITEVIEN

May 30, 2022, 1:39:09 PM5/30/22
to kevin....@gmail.com, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Hi Jim,

Kevin is correct and I would like to add that the 90 day rental applies to renting the entire property (primary home) as a vacation rental.

There are 2 different licenses:
  • Short-term Rental - less than 30 days in an owner occupied property (this can be rented year round)
  • Vacation Rental - maximum of 90 days annually (owner does not have to be present, but it still needs to be the owners primary residence)
For either license, you have to have the DC Homestead Deduction.

Thanks. Jean

[...]

May 31, 2022, 9:47:45 AM5/31/22
to JEAN POITEVIEN, kevin....@gmail.com, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
My apologies to all!  Just read the 2021 short term rental regs and I was clearly misinformed.

Also MANY THANKS for guiding me to continue with my AirBnb plans which are going to be very helpful to me.

And I'd appreciate it If folks have suggestions of sharp local real estate attorneys who are happy to work with homeowner clients.
Thanks,

Jim P

Ileana Schinder

May 31, 2022, 9:50:15 AM5/31/22
to Jim P, JEAN POITEVIEN, kevin....@gmail.com, DC Accessory Apartments Forum
Simply put.
If the ADU is in the same property where you live, there is NO limit on how many nights you can rent it as short term.
If the rental is INDEPENDENT from your residence, you have a 90 day short-term lease.
Combined with the owner-residence requirement, this regulation should not affect the ADU development in the region.
ile