Re: [DC Accessory Apartments Forum] Abridged summary of adudc@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Tanya Topolewski

Dec 5, 2022, 4:24:41 PM12/5/22
to ad...@googlegroups.com
I will also chime in here and say (just for fun) that
  • what sometimes looks to be city owned property is sometimes not
  • what sometimes is city property are 'paper' alleys (ie never built) and require a trip to the DC Council for any sort of ownership transfer
  • utilities are usually the showstopper for these sorts of inquiries. very, very spendy to put them in.
  • and if that's not enough, if it's truly an 'alley lot', they have their own 'special' set of zoning rules.
Generally, none of this orphan land stuff is neither straightforward nor obvious. Not for the faint of heart. However, it never hurts to start asking the questions. You never know where you'll end up.

Tanya

On Mon, Dec 5, 2022 at 2:19 PM <ad...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Cedric <cedri...@gmail.com>: Dec 05 09:31AM -0800

Hi, is it possible to purchase land from the city that was once, I assume,
dead-end alley but is now land that has turned into a grass field. It's
essentially a decommissioned alley. ...more
Ileana Schinder <i...@ileanaschinder.com>: Dec 05 12:49PM -0500

Hi Cedric,
That's a super interesting question but not a straight up answer. This is
what I recommend:

- Use the DC zoning map <https://maps.dcoz.dc.gov/> to determine if the ...more